Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Coaching/Training > DeucesCracked.com
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Why Limit?

[ QUOTE ]
There are limit bots out there that are crushing high stakes limit. The only bots out now for NL are shortstack bots for microlimits. To me, that says a lot about the game of limit compared to NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct about there being bots online. Bots exist in both Limit and No-Limit hold'em. In the last year sites have done more in Anti-Bot technology and actually banning accounts and seizing money and then redistributing it the "victims" then any other year to date. As a bot hunter there are many ways to detect bots that I really can’t go into here. Limit hold'em Heads Up bots though are what you’re referring to when it comes to bots crushing high stakes. They are beatable for a small amount in the long run but what makes these bots bad is they take the fishes money. The bots exist in Limit HU more then any other form of poker because there are less variables and only one other opponent to play which the bot does very well with adapting against. If you read the internet forum right now another botter was just caught with 3 accounts botting FTP at stakes of 30-60 to 100-200 and all money was seized and so forth. Right now it is very dangerous to bot on any site because the sites are really starting to see how this could effect there business and profitability in the future. Limit hold'em is an action game where there are always fish like myself plentiful in most ring games anywhere poker is played. It is true that NL is on fire right now but personally for me NL is so so boring and I like to be able to have fun while playing poker. So I like to play almost every hand and take the "any 2 cards can win approach" when playing LIVE because I like the game. I have friends that play both games NL and Limit and the consensus is there is more money right now to be made in low stakes and medium stakes limit then in NL limit right now online. For LIVE I would say for lower stakes that NL might be a better option. I love limit and it’s why I am about to be a proud owner of a new home, thanks to limit hold'em.

-Crazy Mike
Old 11-05-2007, 08:51 PM

wooooo go deathdonkey!
Old 11-05-2007, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wooooo go deathdonkey!

[/ QUOTE ]

He finally goes from Taco to C=8
Old 11-06-2007, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are limit bots out there that are crushing high stakes limit. The only bots out now for NL are shortstack bots for microlimits. To me, that says a lot about the game of limit compared to NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

As someone who has had a little bit of experience with the programming of a poker bot (not one that will ever used on a poker site, or have the ability to do so) I can add a little insight into this as well.

The fact that there are bots winning (not crushing) at High Stakes Limit games but not so many winning NL bots is because of inherent laziness of programmers and lack of efficient material to build upon.

Bot programmers are just that...programmers. That's what they have spent their time learning to do. A bot programmer doesn't necessarily want to learn the intricacies of poker play, they want to teach a computer to do it for them. Instead of learning for themselves the ins and outs of a certain type of poker, they draw upon available RELIABLE resources, learn the basics and the math involved and let the bot figure out the rest. There is a world of knowledge written about limit poker which has been there for quite some time. It hasn't been until recently that the ins and outs of NL poker have been described, in detail, in an easy to read and readily available at any bookstore format.

Lack of innovation is another reason for this phenomena. Most of "bots" out there are shells that one buys and then scripts his or her own strategy into, or they laughably use the "out of the box" bot that is break even at full ring low-limit tables at best. Even those that do "innovate" see that it is a lot easier to program a line of code each for responses to a "Fold" or "Raise" of one betting increment, than it is to program exact bet increments, and responses to a "Raise of 1 betting increment", "Raise of 2 increments" etc. It's just been easier so far.

It's possible for the most profitable bots to be NL bots, simply because they could in theory keep a history of from the very first hand you played together and call upon relevant HH's based on your current play. They could also, again theoretically, do complicated bet sizing that would force more play mistakes from opponents. The only reason they aren't around is because the resources weren't there.
Keep a lookout for these guys in the coming years unfortunately.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:48 AM

Limit is killing me, I can't take this anymore, the variance is brutal! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Old 11-06-2007, 01:02 PM

So joe within like 2 weeks you have run @ 14.4bb/100, the sox win the ws, the pats basically have superbowl on lock (unless somebody goes "celtic pride" on them - don't tell me you don't own that on DVD), and KG and the gang has debuted.

It's all downhill from here. Sorry.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So joe within like 2 weeks you have run @ 14.4bb/100, the sox win the ws, the pats basically have superbowl on lock (unless somebody goes "celtic pride" on them - don't tell me you don't own that on DVD), and KG and the gang has debuted.

It's all downhill from here. Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe's baby is on the way next month, I'd say its all uphill IMHO.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:14 PM

TT, play vs bot MightyLu 30/60 HU on UB. Stuckinpgh refuses to play against the UB bots 30/60 HU, and he plays HU higher than that. Crazy Mike has lost a lot of money vs these bots trying to beat them. They're not that easy.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
TT wins 2p2 superlative "person i most want to be friends with based on avatar". bullitt ftw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Steve McQueen taught me how to be a real man, I think lots of 2+2'ers can learn some lessons by watching Bullitt, The Great Escape, Papillon, and The Thomas Crown Affair.

[/ QUOTE ]

TT, I am ashamed of you. How could you not mention The Magnificent Seven
Old 11-06-2007, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
TT wins 2p2 superlative "person i most want to be friends with based on avatar". bullitt ftw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Steve McQueen taught me how to be a real man, I think lots of 2+2'ers can learn some lessons by watching Bullitt, The Great Escape, Papillon, and The Thomas Crown Affair.

[/ QUOTE ]

TT, I am ashamed of you. How could you not mention The Magnificent Seven

[/ QUOTE ]

it wasn't as Magnificent, this guy stole the show.

PS: someone please tell Donkey who these guys are, he needs to get out to see more classic cinema