Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best kind(s)
Thin Mints 116 43.77%
Samoas 89 33.58%
Tagalongs 43 16.23%
Trefoils 9 3.40%
All-Abouts 1 0.38%
Do-si-dos 7 2.64%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2007, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Update on Washington State Bills

Notice all of the other bills listed as passed have lengthy histories on the floor including vote roll calls. I have no explanation for this contradicting information, other than it is cruel mistake. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-24-2007, 02:23 PM

I just contacted the office of governor Gregoire by both
Email and telephone, urging her to sign the bill. According to the person I talked to on the phone, the bill
had passed the legislature.

http://www.governor.wa.gov/contact/
Old 04-25-2007, 01:54 PM

The new thread on this topic reported this pokerpages article, stating that it is no longer a felony to play online poker from your home in Washington.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:04 PM

PocketFives is reporting similar news. Just remember folks, it's only an affirmative defense if you gamble online at your primary residence. That means no going over to your friends house to play or on your laptop at your local cafe!
Old 04-25-2007, 03:16 PM

This bill was NOT passed. I justed posted this on pocketfives too.

I don't know how they screwed this up but they appear to have made a mistake.

The pdf linked above says it was passed by the house on April 17th. However, the Activity Report for that day does not list HB 1243, meaning the House did not take any action with respect to that bill.
http://flooractivityext.leg.wa.gov/d...aspx?chamber=3

Likewise the Activity Report for the Senate on April 3rd also does not list the bill. In fact, it appears that the Senate was not even in session that day. http://flooractivityext.leg.wa.gov/d...aspx?chamber=7

Furthermore the list of all bills passed this session does not include HB 1243.
http://www.leg.wa.gov/documents/lic/...rts/cutoff.pdf

Finally, I call Rep. Strow's office today and was told that the bill did not pass. He is the primary sponsor of the bill so he should know if it passed. His office told me that they have recieved several calls regarding the confusion and assured me that it did not pass. They said they will call me soon, however, to discuss options for getting it passed next session.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:14 PM

Just called the hotline at 800-562-6000, and was told the bill DID PASS!

The lady I talked to did acklowledge that there's been some confusion, and was a little crypic in saying "they're working on it". I should have asked what she meant by that...
Old 04-25-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The lady I talked to did acklowledge that there's been some confusion, and was a little crypic in saying "they're working on it". I should have asked what she meant by that...

[/ QUOTE ]

The 'Bill as Passed Legislature document: ' link is now gone from the HB 1243 page and the PDF is not accessible at that link. As I feared, the 'confusion' is now cleared up and it did not pass this session.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The 'Bill as Passed Legislature document: ' link is now gone from the HB 1243 page and the PDF is not accessible at that link. As I feared, the 'confusion' is now cleared up and it did not pass this session.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sad news. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Looks like I'm stuck committing felonies for at least another year...
Old 04-25-2007, 06:24 PM

I wouldn't give up yet, end of session is a very chaotic time in legislative bodies and reporting a low order priority bill like this one is not likely to be at the top of anyone's list. Wait a few days for a definitive answer to come out, if someone actually was quoting vote totals in the Senate and House then there has been definite action on it and the reporting mechanisms could be lagging.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:13 PM

Looks like The Comish and ZPinhead were correct, the bill apparently did not pass.

I called the very same "legislative hotline" that I called yesterday and was told today it didn't pass. In fact, it didn't even get out of committee hearings. Looks like it will be another year until this comes around again.

Edit: Initially the gal I talked to refered to the bill as "dead", but then she went back on that, saying "well, I can't say it 'died', but..."