Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Has Anyone Read Caros Poker Tells??

The ideal situation would be for Caro and Navarro to team up on a combined edition of the two books. They both have unique strengths- Caro has more knowledge and information on specific Poker behaviors and actions; Navarro knows more about people and body language.

I recommend both books, but they're even better together- read Navarro's Read 'Em and Reap first to understand the general behavior of people and then read Caro's Book of Tells to fine tune the knowledge specifically to Poker.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've read it, though I liked the "Phil Hellmuth Presents Read 'Em and Reap: A Career FBI Agent's Guide to Decoding Poker Tells"

I thought FBI fellow's details about high and low confidence tells was much more revealing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 3/4s into the Read "em and Weep, but I find that most tells he brings up are common sense such as a high arching chip throw in, or raising eyebrows with strong hand and lowering eyebrows= weak.
Can you offer more comparisons of the book, what is covered in Caro's book that is not in Navaros?
One thing I can say about Navarro's book is it is an easy read. I read the 249 pages in only a few days or about 3-4 hours. The pictures crack me up. Imagine Joe Friday at your poker table.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've read it, though I liked the "Phil Hellmuth Presents Read 'Em and Reap: A Career FBI Agent's Guide to Decoding Poker Tells"

I thought FBI fellow's details about high and low confidence tells was much more revealing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 3/4s into the Read "em and Weep, but I find that most tells he brings up are common sense such as a high arching chip throw in, or raising eyebrows with strong hand and lowering eyebrows= weak.
Can you offer more comparisons of the book, what is covered in Caro's book that is not in Navaros?
One thing I can say about Navarro's book is it is an easy read. I read the 249 pages in only a few days or about 3-4 hours. The pictures crack me up. Imagine Joe Friday at your poker table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Caro talks about a lot of the same mannerisms, but specifically about poker. Some are, if I recall, contradictory though. The high arcing chip throw is "strong hand" to the FBI guy, but as I recall it's a display of strength and thus a weak hand according to Caro.

I like the Navaro's details about the quality of the tell. Caro has that, but it seems less well expressed. Navaro talks about the feet being most reliable and things getting less reliable as you move up. I had several "Yea, I do that" moments reading Navaro, but didn't have that feeling reading Caro's book.

I also appreciated Navaro explaining why we do what we do with the, um, innate "flooblitic" response. Can't recall what it is, so "flooblitic" is my word [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], but the innate response system we have in us to various stresses. Being quiet when in danger mimics people freezing up when bluffing or pulling away from the table with a weak hand.

Just in general, I found the description of human nature and it's reasons in Navaro's descriptions made a lot more intuitive sense than the more clinical rundown of specific poker tells in Caro's book.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:19 PM

I haven't read Navarro, but the Caro work isn't too bad. Most serious players have already read it, but occasionally you see players who look like they are auditioning for the book.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Caro talks about a lot of the same mannerisms, but specifically about poker. Some are, if I recall, contradictory though. The high arcing chip throw is "strong hand" to the FBI guy, but as I recall it's a display of strength and thus a weak hand according to Caro.

I like the Navaro's details about the quality of the tell. Caro has that, but it seems less well expressed. Navaro talks about the feet being most reliable and things getting less reliable as you move up. I had several "Yea, I do that" moments reading Navaro, but didn't have that feeling reading Caro's book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without pulling my copy of Caro's book out I recall that Caro does spend time talking about whether you think the person is acting in his tells/mannerisms. This could have something to do with the discrepancy between how the two view the same mannerisms.
I don't tend to try to give off many false tells, so that part of Caro's book I mostly have to take at face value, but having played dozens of sessions at canterbury and thousands of hands at the local golf club I can say that the average tourist/beginner Caro often is talking about gives off many many of the tells just how he describes and that once you figure out whether or not they are acting it is rather reliable.
I agree with whomever wrote that one thing Caro's book will help you with is watching your opponents for info.
I haven't read the other book.

My two cents.