Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 04:38 AM

Default Re: How many online pros average +500k a year in the world?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
empiremaker1

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]yeah empire was there a empiremaker or empiremaker1?wtf who does that.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:48 AM

probably 30-50 for no limit
no clue about limit or donkaments or anything else
Old 08-07-2007, 04:59 AM

A high limit SNG player could make over 500k in just rakeback alone if he really wanted to and it's basically assumed that SNGs are not the way to go if you want to make the most money in poker. With that being said my guess is around 200 per year with a lot of those only making 500k in a year once or twice in their lifetime.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:06 AM

I think there are around 500 or so if you consider that there are the limit guys, NL guys, tourney guys, and other games like Omaha etc. $500k a year is not incredibly difficult to make of you aren't lazy. A guy that makes 2ptbb/100 at 5/10nl and plays close to 100k hands a month will make it easy especially after rakeback. You can even be a good 2/4nl pro and make $500k a year if you play a lot.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can even be a good 2/4nl pro and make $500k a year if you play a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is true, but people are either lazy or they keep moving up until they find a limit they can't beat. the number *could* easily be 500+, but it isn't, for aforementioned reasons.

eg the guys who make 2BB/100 at 5/10 like you said, tend to either play 30K hands a month and lazily rack up money, or move up til they hit 25/50 and break even etc
Old 08-07-2007, 05:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You can even be a good 2/4nl pro and make $500k a year if you play a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is true, but people are either lazy or they keep moving up until they find a limit they can't beat. the number *could* easily be 500+, but it isn't, for aforementioned reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt. The truth is most poker pros are idiots. Everyone is always trying to play higher and higher. Then when they get there they always want to piuck on the players who are good regulars instead of focusing on the few fish. Everyone has a rediculusly big ego. If people just grinded and game selected..etc. and stopped being so lazy a lot of people would make a lot of money at this game.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:28 AM

For an earning level to be valid it probably has to be averaged over 5 years of full time play. The effect of variance in poker is extreme and players with a nice positive edge can still have ugly long-term downswings of 1 year or more, just as negative edge players can have long-term upswings of 1 year or more.

In terms of pure poker income (no endorsements, poker businesses, books, royalties, or merchandise, etc.) I'd say there are very few players in the world with the edge, volume, and consistency of play to make $500K+/year. And fewer still with the longevity to establish their win-rate with high certainty (95%+ certainty). Definitely less than 100.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:33 AM

I think you may have accidentaly missed the title of this post. He is talking ONLINE pros. There isn't a ton of variance when playing a million + hands a year and there sure as heck aren't any endorsemnet deals.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you may have accidentaly missed the title of this post. He is talking ONLINE pros. There isn't a ton of variance when playing a million + hands a year and there sure as heck aren't any endorsemnet deals.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should take a look at some simulation graphs posted over in the MTT forum. There is very significant long-term variance swings even for high-volume online play. I was amazed when I saw those graphs. Unfortunately, can't find link right now.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You should take a look at some simulation graphs posted over in the MTT forum. There is very significant long-term variance swings even for high-volume online play. I was amazed when I saw those graphs. Unfortunately, can't find link right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure OP meant poker pros, not lottery players.