Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2006, 04:47 PM

Default Can\'t link to emails... help

Whenever there is an automatic link to an email and i click on it a blank screen pops up. It says "done" at the bottom. Is there some setting on my computer i need to change to fix this problem?
thanks,
de
Old 08-07-2006, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Can\'t link to emails... help

You've written almost half of the info we need to fix this.

1) What do you mean "to an email"? Do you mean "in an email", like I say "Check out this page!" or do you mean a webpage that says "Email me at the following address:"

2) How are you reading email? Is this Outlook? Hotmail?

3) What says "done" at the bottom of the screen? Is it your webbrowser? Which browser is it?

-Sam
Old 08-07-2006, 05:50 PM

sorry about the confusion. For example, i go to LATB and click on their email link to report a problem. The webrowser pops up (google) and at the bottom of the screen it says done which is typical when a web page appears but usually the page is not completely blank as is the case with me.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:51 AM

What do you use for a mail client on your computer? Outlook? Thunderbird? GMail? Yahoo? Hotmail? SomethingElseMail?

Do you use popup blockers? Ad blockers? Some other thing that would prevent this page from loading.

Finally, does this problem exist on different sites?

Does This Link Work?
Old 08-08-2006, 06:50 AM

Thanks for the response. i have a hotmail account and use pop up blocker on google. i tried disabling it but still could not get your link to work. I also have spyware sweeper, scotty, and norton anti-virus. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:50 AM

From the Start menu, click on "Set Program Access and Defaults" which should be right under "Control Panel" on the right. Or, if you can't find it, go to Control Panel and pick "Add or Remove Programs" and then pick the "Set Program..." on the left side of the window.

Set Program Access and Defaults will allow you to choose a configuration: Microsoft Windows, Non-Microsoft, or Custom. You use a radio (round) button to choose one. Which is selected on your machine?

All three of those options have an arrow pointing down at the right side of the box. Click this arrow for the one selected and describe what you see there related to E-mail settings.

Also, you can try to find the appropriate values in the registry if you'd like. Be very careful not to change any values. Start->Run...-> type "regedit" and hit enter. Navigate to the following keys and note what the values are. Each \ in a key name is another node in the tree on the left, so you can open each node to find the right one and keep doing that until you find a value.

For mailto: handling, it will register here:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\shell\open\command
- note what the Data is for the (Default) entry there.

For default email program, look here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail
- again, note what the Data is for the (Default) entry there
- also, note what nodes are underneath the Mail node (should be Hotmail, Outlook Express, possibly others)