Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2007, 12:30 PM

Default $60 home game

So I played poker with a bunch of friends on Sat night. We had two 2-table tourneys w/ 16-18 guys, then most people went home, but 6 of us would play a 3rd game, $60 buy-in, 1st = $240, 2nd = $120. I play with thses guys a lot and they know I am TAG.

First hand, UTG, blinds 25/50 (4000 chips to start with) dealt KK I make it t150, get a call from a weaker player, but a stronger player makes it t650. I immediately put him on QQ-AA b/c I doubt he would raise me with any other holding (possibly AK, JJ, but more likely to call with these hands IMO).

So now what? If I call, I have 1/4 of my stack in, and any flop w/o an A I am likely all-in post flop, w/ an ace I could fold the better hand. I decide I won't be able to play post flop optimally. So I need to call, shove or fold preflop.

If my range is correct shoving and getting called is break-even (win QQ, tie KK lose vs AA). So since there is no +EV here, and I only lost t150, maybe a fold is best?

What should I do?
Old 04-17-2007, 12:36 PM

Default Re: $60 home game

Blow it up! If he knows you're TAG he also thinks you can lay down a hand. If he's got AA TL.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:05 PM

i guess I'd jam here because it is 6-handed. If it were 9-handed then I'd fold.....MAYBE.

Old 04-17-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blow it up! If he knows you're TAG he also [s]thinks[/s] knowsyou can lay down a hand. If he's got AA TL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also if he's repopping with AK, AQ, QQ or JJ you're a huge favorite. The ONLY hand you're a dog to is AA - and the chance that he's holding that is <1% (at least, mathmatically).

He knows, that you know, that he would only re-pop with the hands you're putting him on - i.e. he could be doing this with air or at least a hand you have beat, knowing that as soon as you re-raise, he folds or he calls and bets an A-high flop.

Personally, I shove - if he calls with AA - you've got a great story.

Incidentally - I bet he folds his bluff (unless, of course, he has AA)
Old 04-17-2007, 01:16 PM

I think your QQ+ range is too tight, but you know the guy I suppose. You've got a chance to make it 1500 and have about a pot-sized bet behind if called. I think jamming 4000 into a <1000 pot is excessive. He could fold QQ/JJ/AK to a push but he might 5-bet all-in with them if he thinks he might get a fold out of QQ/KK/AK. That being said, I never fold preflop.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Blow it up! If he knows you're TAG he also [s]thinks[/s] knowsyou can lay down a hand. If he's got AA TL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also if he's repopping with AK, AQ, QQ or JJ you're a huge favorite. The ONLY hand you're a dog to is AA - and the chance that he's holding that is <1% (at least, mathmatically).

He knows, that you know, that he would only re-pop with the hands you're putting him on - i.e. he could be doing this with air or at least a hand you have beat, knowing that as soon as you re-raise, he folds or he calls and bets an A-high flop.

Personally, I shove - if he calls with AA - you've got a great story.

Incidentally - I bet he folds his bluff (unless, of course, he has AA)

[/ QUOTE ]

The chance that he has AA is much much greater than 1% given his action. You must update your prior when he raises like this. OP only has 150 invested so its not CLEARLY a push when 9-handed. I think at 6-handed very few people can fold this.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i guess I'd jam here because it is 6-handed. If it were 9-handed then I'd fold.....MAYBE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you play it differently 6-handed versus 9-handed if you're going to put him on the same re-raising range in both cases?
Old 04-17-2007, 01:30 PM

I'd call, and depending on the flop try to let him commit his chips. Don't give him the option to fold worse hands.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd call, and depending on the flop try to let him commit his chips. Don't give him the option to fold worse hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-17-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you play it differently 6-handed versus 9-handed if you're going to put him on the same re-raising range in both cases?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because 6-handed its much less likely that you are up against AA. I would not put him on the same re-raising range in both cases. People raise much lighter short-handed, as I'm sure you know.