Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2007, 08:11 AM

Default Stud8 - Smooth low draw without high getting jammed on 6th

Read: I don't know helpful it is, but Seat 3 is an extremely rude big talker berating everyone all the time. He claims he is a 30/60 player and he thinks he is the best player in the world. When I played the same game with him the day before he lost several 100 by playing extremely bad, donking off his money by playing dry 8 lows into obvious better hands. He claimed he was drunk at the time, but I figured him for a big idiot instead.

5th street: I think it was a mistake to lead out here when none of my high draws improved and seat 7 might have 3 suited babies in the hole. Should I have a c/c line here?

6th street: Ok, just how bad am I playing here. I cold called two, because I thought that seat 7 had four to a flush and would not raise again, and that seat 3 was trying to protect a rough low. Thus I was priced in to try to hit my good low here. But once I've made the call I am even more priced in to call the last two, even though I now know for sure two pair or trips will probably not help me take the high.

River is obvious.

Ok, how would you non-donks play this hand? Would you fold on 6th? I am a little bit embarrassed to make this post because I suck sooo bad, but I really need the advice.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($3/$6), Ante $0,50, Bring-In $1 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___folds
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises

4th Street - (7.33 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (5.17 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises

6th Street - (11.17 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls

River - (23.17 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___bets___raises___calls
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___raises___raises to 23 (all-in)
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls___calls

Total pot: (36.67 BB - $220)

PS I know I don't have enough money at the able. I would usually try to have $100 but I had just lost a couple of decent pots and hadn't reloaded
Old 09-29-2007, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Stud8 - Smooth low draw without high getting jammed on 6th

I play this one about the same. Third and fourth are pretty straightforward. I think you need to bet out on fifth, but once seat 7 raises, I find it unlikely that you have enough equity to want to jam.

Sixth is somewhat interesting. I'm having a difficult time putting seat 7 on a hand. Rolled Sixes makes the most sense. It was strong enough to raise third and he can jam confidently since he has seat 3's straight blocked. That said, there's only one possible combination that gives him rolled Sixes, and a lot of people don't play poker very well. Who knows, maybe he has trip Eights or trip Kings. While I think that trips is a likely hand, I don't think that he has to have them. There's some chance that an Ace or a Four will give you a winner. You're looking for the low, though. There are 35 unseen cards. Eight of them will give you a Six-low which will almost always be good. A Seven will sometimes be good, and I think an Eight will be good more often than one might think. Given your characterization of seat 3, he's going to have an Eight in the hole often enough that you need to call here. You should have good implied odds if you hit. Nice hand.

You cost yourself $.50 by being short-stacked. If you had been significantly more short-stacked, however, you could have had a much more comfortable situation on sixth. I don't necessarily play this game hoping for comfortable situations, though.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:52 PM

If he had trip 6s or trip 8s, don't you think he'd raise 4th? Or you think he would wait one street for the bigger bets? On the other hand I have a very hard time seeing pocket kings being played like this on 3rd and 4th by a somewhat knowledgable player.

Also, do you think it's reasonable to believe he has a flushdraw on fifth (before seeing sixth) ? I immediately put him on that, but I think that I might be biased here by my own playing style, since there aren't that many hands I reraise with on 3rd.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:36 PM

Trips might raise fourth and might wait until fifth. He shouldn't have Kings in the hole, but like I say, a lot of people don't play very well. There are a lot of diamonds gone, so he shouldn't have a flush draw, either.