Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 10:21 PM

Default Worth taking a personal finance class?

I've got two semesters to go before I graduate. I don't know anything about finance, business or investing, but I'm planning on teaching myself in the next few years.

Anyway, while I'm still at school, does this class look worth it http://kelley.iu.edu/finance/f260.htm ? or would I likely be better of just studying on my own? I don't need the credit hours.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:25 PM

Default Re: Worth taking a personal finance class?

Worth it
Old 08-22-2007, 10:37 PM

Worth it...

I had a great personal finance professor at UofI - C/U and I can confidently say I have directly used more information from that 1 personal finance class than any other course during college.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:49 PM

I've never taken one but expected replies to say "could just learn on your own". For those replying saying it's worth it, what made it worth it so much?
Old 08-22-2007, 10:51 PM

Do yourself an added favor... take TWO of them. One each semester.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never taken one but expected replies to say "could just learn on your own". For those replying saying it's worth it, what made it worth it so much?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I definitely could have learned the information on my own, but it is just an elective course so why choose to take intro to mythology when you can take a personal finance class?

At the age of 19, 20, or 21, I'd bet most students have not learned or thought much about personal finance (as our school systems are terrible at teaching this subject), yet they are being prepped by a university to go out into the real-world and begin making real money and will have to face decisions about insurance, benefits, retirement planning, loans, major purchases, etc. Here you have the opportunity to be introduced to these subjects by an experienced professor who has developed a tested curriculum for these topics... if anything, it will be a good way to spring-board into self-study into the areas of personal finance you find interesting and practical for your situation.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:50 PM

Looks like a pretty cool class that would be very beneficial. I would supplement it by reading the fatwallet finance forum every chance you get as the advice and strategies given on certain topics will be better than what is taught in your class.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:30 AM

K, I'm going for it. Thanks all, for your input.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:38 AM

take it from me...you meet lots o' chicks in these finance classes, but you're grown up now and have to drop the "induce vomitting" tag. turns the chicks off...
Old 08-23-2007, 06:16 AM

That is totally awesome. Good luck in the course...the lessons will be among the most valuable you'll learn at school. Any type of salary level post-college will benefit from this type of thing, whether it's learning how to invest and build a nest egg on a budget, or how to avoid squandering your newly found wealth.