Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 08:27 AM

Default Re: A6s flops pair, turns 2

Your weak flop bet will get called pretty wide and that's a lot of aces, most of which you have crushed. I'd happily call the min raise then call whatever he wants to give me on the river.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
turn min raise is great, the A pairs up anything he floated with the spade draw/overs

are you really scared that he's playing back at you with a set?

You shouldn't be, either RR turn or plan to CRAI on the river because you're so ahead of his range

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly how some players play sets. And sets are 8 combos while AsXs hands are 10. (Plus, we're not nearly as far ahead of AsXs as we are behind sets.)

I don't think it's as clear as you're making it sound. Did you look at the read Hero provided?

[/ QUOTE ]

The provided read wasn't complete, was villain raising in position, OOP, after how many hands, how loose were the other players at the table, did villain smooth call flop and raise turn....we need a very good reason not to commit with this hand and I didn't get it

What about my first question about even playing the hand UTG in the first place?
Old 10-02-2007, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What about my first question about even playing the hand UTG in the first place?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's marginal at a 5-handed table. I would do it occasionally but usually fold and once in awhile open-limp [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] if there hadn't been a lot of preflop raising and "punishing the limpers" going on at the table.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:34 AM

Playing this loose OOP vs passive/calling opponents in position is --EV
this is when you should shift to semi nitty TAG play fo sho

why even open limp? You're not doing that with pp's + AQ+
Old 10-02-2007, 10:36 AM

pf is bad w/ a 48/14 sitting behind you. He'll call you with a wide range of aces that you won't have beat.

wtf w/ the flop bet. make a real bet or don't bet at all. I'm not liking it, but I call turn and river, b/c you beat a lot of two pair hands.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing this loose OOP vs passive/calling opponents in position is --EV
this is when you should shift to semi nitty TAG play fo sho

why even open limp? You're not doing that with pp's + AQ+

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have a strong opinion about preflop in this hand. I was just answering your question, really. We don't know what the table as a whole is like, just that the player to Hero's immediate left is loose/passive. I agree that that piece of information that we do have argues against playing. It also argues for asking Villain to switch seats with us [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

I don't open-limp much -- I just don't think doing so is disgraceful like much of this forum seems to -- but I would probably do that with my A6s 5-handed UTG if the entire table was loose/passive. And you're right -- I wouldn't do it with AQ and PPs very much, probably, but I might with other hands like KJo and 76s and QTs. At tables with a bunch of loose-passives, I don't mind fitting in a bit and trying to outplay them postflop, especially if I think my decent but speculative hand probably can't be raised particularly profitably.

But the situation doesn't come up too much. It's hard to avoid having one or two other TAGgish players at the table with you, these days -- or, if not that, a LAG or two that makes the whole open-limping thing too costly (well, except that I like LRRing LAGs with big hands if I'm pretty sure I'm going to be able to).