Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Post About Wilco

I love Wiclo too and most ot the other bands OP mentions but I hate Duran Duran with a passion. If you like Wilco here are some other bands which you may like (some of which containing the original members):

Golden Smog
Whiskey Town
Uncle Tupelo
Tortoise
Loose Fur

I wish I could listen to "Any major dude will tell you" again for the first time!
Old 07-18-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Although not nearly as good a Wilco, Son Volt is a pretty good band that resulted from the Uncle Tupelo break up - especially if you like the alt-country sound.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded. Son Volt's first album "Trace" is their best, imo, and is definitely worth acquiring. From wiki - "It received extremely favorable reviews. According to All Music Guide, 'Throughout Son Volt's debut, Trace, the group reworks classic honky tonk and rock & roll, adding a desperate, determined edge to their performances. Even when they rock out, there is a palpable sense of melancholy to Farrar's voice, which lends a poignancy to the music.'"
Old 07-18-2007, 05:51 PM

i like the sky blue sky direction, i think ghost is born was a bad direction for tweedy, although a good album, he should stick to altcountry.....i say allthat because i enjoy it more than any other genre
Old 07-18-2007, 06:50 PM

Just downloaded Summerteeth. It's kind of a unique sound compared to what I have been listening to. I like a lot; it's very mellow and surprisingly melodic at times. Thanks for making this thread, I hadn't heard any of Wilco before. I will definitely check out the other bands mentioned.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just downloaded Summerteeth. It's kind of a unique sound compared to what I have been listening to. I like a lot; it's very mellow and surprisingly melodic at times. Thanks for making this thread, I hadn't heard any of Wilco before. I will definitely check out the other bands mentioned.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its more poppy than others. Being There is the next Wilco purchase I can reccomend you to buy/download. I think it is there best.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:52 PM

Can anyone recommend me some specific songs that have some piano in them? I'm really liking this stuff.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone recommend me some specific songs that have some piano in them? I'm really liking this stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another Man's Done Gone
My Darling
Pieholden Suite
Theologians
One by One
At Least That's What You Said
Say You Miss Me
(Was I) In Your Dreams
Old 07-18-2007, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hummingbird is one of my favorites.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sEyiR_lc_cY
Old 07-19-2007, 12:11 AM

Does anyone else besides me feel that many Summerteeth songs have kind of a beatlesesque sound to them? Maybe that's part of the reason I love that album so much. Even after so many listens, She's a Jar can still give me the chills, especially the last line: "you know she begs me not to hit her"

YHF and Summerteeth are both undoubtedly in my top 10 favorite albums of all time. The only song that was really hard for me to get into was "Radio Cure". I still think it's one of the weaker songs on those albums, but even that eventually grew on me after numerous listens.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else besides me feel that many Summerteeth songs have kind of a beatlesesque sound to them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, definitely. I was going to say the same thing when I wrote my review of the three albums I downloaded yesterday. The whole album reminded me of a mix of the Beatles and Jon Brion.