Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2006, 09:37 PM

Default Re: best drummer of all time

TT,

I admit not knowing [censored] about techinal aspects of music. I just find it hard to believe a guy like Robert Fripp would [censored] around with someone not top notch for so long. Maybe you caught him at a bad time or whatever and everyone involved in that Union garbage came off pretty bad. It sounds like it must've been a complete mess, I bet you have some interesting stories. What do you think of his solo fusion stuff?
Old 10-11-2006, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not trying to be harsh...but do people really think Carter Beauford is a great drummer, or is DMB the only band from which they know the name of the drummer? I don't see him as anything special at all...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to be harsh, but that's a stupid thing to say. I doubt Drum and Modern Drummer have had him on their covers multiple times because he's the only drummer they know the name of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being on the cover of a magazine is not a sign of greatness...or even decentness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. However, I really doubt that Drum and Modern Drummer have a lot of readers who would appreciate seeing a hack on the cover just because he's well known. They put him on because he's good. Regardless, you're still wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

How am I wrong? All I said was that I do not see him as being anything special, which is true because I do not...and neither do all but 2 people in this thread so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh. I think in most drum circles (hehe) he's considered much better than average. Your statement about people only mentioning because he's in DMB was just stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't a statement...it was a question.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love this petty back and forth, so I'll keep it going: why would an honest, non-rhetorical question such as that need the qualifier "not to sound harsh"?
Old 10-11-2006, 09:39 PM

Gadd is God.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
his timing was bad, sorry. Spend a few days with him in a recording studio and you will agree.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're a recording engineer or producer? Who's the best drummer you've worked with?

I've read that they have different standards of good drumming than the typical fan. E.g., Ringo was never highly considered by anyone, but Martin loved working with him because he kept time so well. True? (about the different standards, not necessarily Ringo, who you probably haven't worked with, considering he hasn't worked as a drummer in years).
Old 10-11-2006, 10:41 PM

Chester Thompson is worthy of a mention.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not trying to be harsh...but do people really think Carter Beauford is a great drummer, or is DMB the only band from which they know the name of the drummer? I don't see him as anything special at all...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to be harsh, but that's a stupid thing to say. I doubt Drum and Modern Drummer have had him on their covers multiple times because he's the only drummer they know the name of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being on the cover of a magazine is not a sign of greatness...or even decentness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. However, I really doubt that Drum and Modern Drummer have a lot of readers who would appreciate seeing a hack on the cover just because he's well known. They put him on because he's good. Regardless, you're still wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

How am I wrong? All I said was that I do not see him as being anything special, which is true because I do not...and neither do all but 2 people in this thread so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh. I think in most drum circles (hehe) he's considered much better than average. Your statement about people only mentioning because he's in DMB was just stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love this petty back and forth, so I'll keep it going: why would an honest, non-rhetorical question such as that need the qualifier "not to sound harsh"?

[/ QUOTE ]

So that fans of his would not take offense to my question, which I thought might come across as a little harsh over the internet...obviously my disclaimer was ineffective. I was looking for opinions from those that are more knowledgable than me on this subject. Just giving my opinion and wondering what others thought, I did not mean to offend you, or anyone else that likes Carter. Good day, sir.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:13 PM

For me Mike Portnoy gets an honourable mention.

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Tim Alexander you tube and I still can't decide whether Les Claypools bass or Tims drums make Tommy the Cat as awesome as it is...

Terry Bozzio also makes the top 3 for me anyone who toured with Zappa has *very* impressive cedentials in my book.

Terry Bozzio on you tube
Old 10-11-2006, 11:55 PM

For people mentioning metal and such,

Dillinger Escape Plan's Chris Pennie is pretty solid, and the best I've seen in a few hundred concerts or so. For those unfamiliar with DEP, they describe themselves as "mathcore", see if you can figure out why.

I pretty much killed myself right after watching this on youtube. Since I was already dead, I didn't watch the rest of the videos
here.

Ok, I lied, I did watch them.

Edit: I would be doing you a disservice if I skipped a direct link to this video, which is really really good.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So that fans of his would not take offense to my question, which I thought might come across as a little harsh over the internet...obviously my disclaimer was ineffective. I was looking for opinions from those that are more knowledgable than me on this subject. Just giving my opinion and wondering what others thought, I did not mean to offend you, or anyone else that likes Carter. Good day, sir.

[/ QUOTE ]

My apologies, then. It wasn't a matter of being offended, it was a matter of apparently misinterpreting your question as, despite the disclaimer, actually wanting to be offensive.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
TT,

I admit not knowing [censored] about techinal aspects of music. I just find it hard to believe a guy like Robert Fripp would [censored] around with someone not top notch for so long. Maybe you caught him at a bad time or whatever and everyone involved in that Union garbage came off pretty bad. It sounds like it must've been a complete mess, I bet you have some interesting stories. What do you think of his solo fusion stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll just leave you with a Union story. It was supposed to be an Anderson Bruford Wakeman & Howe album (ABWH). The producer was a huge Yes fan and did Far Far Cry with Anderson so they trusted his judgment. However the band didn't know he also started working at the same time with Trevor's rival group. He literally copied parts from each others projects and submitted it to the label - they were the only ones who knew what was going on. I called it their Milli Vanilli record because we used so many session musicians to replace the band member's own recordings with session musicians because some of them were old (Steve Howe), had arthritis, etc.

Some months later I am at a party at a club to wrap up another record I was working on. This guy named Trevor walks over to say high to the artist and the producer and then walked away. I turned to the producer and said wait a second, is that Trevor Rabin from Yes (they played the Garden that evening)... of course it was. So I walked over to Trevor and re-introduced myself by saying Hi, I am "TT", we never had the chance to meet before, I worked on your last album. Trevor replies "Really? What did you play?". That confused me, I told him "I was one of the engineers on the album, I didn't play anything".

Trevor deadpanned "well none of us played on the album either" and walked away. IMHO that was one of the best music industry "moments in time", I was so lucky to be a part of that conversation... it was so bizarre I will never forget it.

PS: I LOVE FRIP!!!

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]