Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2006, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Standard haircut tip?

Haircut is $14 and I give him a $20 and ask for $3 back. Giving $5 would be a bit overkill for me, and I'm pretty generous. It's a [censored] haircut. Takes 8 minutes.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Search function - are you F-ing serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

searching for "+hair +tip" took me two-three minutes to find the discussion youve already brought up.

thanks for beating a dead horse and being rude about it.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:36 PM

Mcgahee - to me, bottom line is your haircutter is a tard for walking away with your change. Tip is completely discretionary. If you wanna be cheap or whatever, who cares, it's your right. She owes you change.

BTW - are you pissed because you just let her walk away with your $5, and are venting about it on OOT, or that you had to bother asking her for your change back? Because if it's the former I'd be pissed at myself for letting her take my $.

-Al
Old 01-14-2006, 08:37 PM

i can't really think of any tip-worthy occasions where someone should be tipping less than 5$ with the exception of things like coffee and individual drinks in a bar - stuff that is <5$ you can just leave the five. 5-10 on a haircut, depending on price would be my suggestion.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:44 PM

from www.tipping.org
"Barbershop hair cutter 15% of the cost, generally a minimum of $1. If you do not get your hair cut often, then $5 is suggested owner none person who shampoos or washes hair $1 to $2"
Old 01-14-2006, 08:45 PM

If you're tipping $10 on any haircut you're a queer.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:45 PM

First of all I don't trust a woman cutting my hair. I go to a BARBER and wouldn't have it any other way. He used to charge me $9 and I gave him 12, and if you count all the customers I have brought to him + all the customers they have brought to him the total would be over 50. He cuts the hair of the whole basketball team of 2 colleges, and 1 football team. He's been doing so well he opened up his own shop less than 6 months after he started and thought he was so cool that he could start charging $12.

I no longer tip him. I just give him the $12. He doesn't seem to have a problem with it, and if he asked me to pay more I probably would. I guess I'm just kinda pissed that now when I get my hair cut I have to wait for 3 people in front of me.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
DOn't put yourself in the gray zone - either give her 17/18 - or hand her a 50/100 - or use a c-card. I'm sure she gets some $5 tips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure they get 20's all the time. How hard is it for her to hand back 5 singles. Then, he can tip what he pleases. I can't stand tip hustlers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly - this implication that she has to bend over backwards to give back change is ridiculous.
I think some people just get off on being contrarians - ie - if I post this from the other perspective they say the opposite of what they did here just to be a prick.
All I was wondering was if $2 was unacceptably cheap in general. Since there is obviously a great deal of disagreement about what is standard, I am clearly not being unreasonable.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
DOn't put yourself in the gray zone - either give her 17/18 - or hand her a 50/100 - or use a c-card. I'm sure she gets some $5 tips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure they get 20's all the time. How hard is it for her to hand back 5 singles. Then, he can tip what he pleases. I can't stand tip hustlers.

[/ QUOTE ]
And I bet 99% of the time when they do get a $20 it includes a $5 tip.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:01 PM

Obsidian - 33% tip at Supercuts? Standard? I would bet that it is not even close to 99%. FYI I tip my haircutter generously, but I understand if people choose not to. It's just a f'in haircut after all.

-Al