Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Old 11-29-2007, 09:38 PM

Default Basic correlations

I'm looking into doing some basic models for a school project looking at how some factor correlates with a price effect on something else.

Very basic example: change in oil price results in change in airline stock

I'm looking to get some more examples like that one - anything where data is easily accessible online.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Basic correlations

easiest examples would be commodity companies compared to the commodity, i.e. price of gold vs. stocks of gold mining companies
Old 11-29-2007, 10:15 PM

I'm not really sure what is is you're trying to do, but in terms of airlines, don't forget that these guy hedge a portion of it.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:41 PM

I'm looking for 5-10 correlations to examine, another example would be interest rates changing then seeing what happens to bond prices
Old 11-29-2007, 10:47 PM

You can't think of 5 basic correlations? This should be easy...

Find the correlation betweens stock price returns and political parties being in office.

Find the 3-year return of stocks when valuations (per normalized P/E ratios) are above and below the mean.

Find the return of stocks during the last three days of the month over the past ten years to see if the emergence of hedge funds have had a signficiant effect on trading (returns would be higher towards the end of the month to prevent bad consecutive months from ocurring).

Find the correlation between stock returns when the earnings yield of the S&P 500 (E/P) is lower than the yield on the 10-year bond. First look at this data over the past ten years, then look at it over the past 50 years. You'll be able to prove why anyone who believes in the Fed model is foolish.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking for 5-10 correlations to examine, another example would be interest rates changing then seeing what happens to bond prices

[/ QUOTE ]

ya i would imagine this is a pretty strong correlation.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not really sure what is is you're trying to do, but in terms of airlines, don't forget that these guy hedge a portion of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

to follow this digression, there was an interestign story in the nytimes about this today: An Airline Shrugs at Oil Prices
Old 11-29-2007, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

to follow this digression, there was an interestign story in the nytimes about this today: An Airline Shrugs at Oil Prices

[/ QUOTE ]

All airlines should in fact due this. You could make the argument that SW should no longer be considered cyclical and, consequenly, warrant a mu;tiple premium over its competitors.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Find the correlation between stock returns when the earnings yield of the S&P 500 (E/P) is lower than the yield on the 10-year bond. First look at this data over the past ten years, then look at it over the past 50 years. You'll be able to prove why anyone who believes in the Fed model is foolish.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can I find this data? And could you elaborate on the fed bit?
Old 11-29-2007, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't think of 5 basic correlations? This should be easy...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure with some research I could find 5 good ones, but since this is going to be over a non-small time period, I want to make sure I get some unique/interesting ideas (thank you for yours)

Also, PRE:
2) can you explain this -- what "mean" are the valuations above/below?
4) correlation between which stock returns?

http://bigpicture.typepad.com/commen..._vs_multi.html
This article talks about how the market is like chaos and looking at just one factor is pretty pointless for the market as a whole