Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 06-18-2007, 04:57 PM

Default Re: what do you guys usually do here?

"It's odd that in the A72r board ILP advocates to check-fold, because it's the board with the second highest equity for us. I know that equity isn't everything, but..."

I think its odd also. I may be approaching this spot incorrectly.

"And usually in a very dry A-high board, if the opponent doesn't have an ace, he is probably checking behind the turn, and we can see a free river card."

I agree that this dynamic is important and supports playing beyond the flop with this hand.

"I also don't like checkraising in crap boards because people are usually going to call down light."

If I was up against a very showdown opponent, I would alter my strategy. The strategies I advocated are designed for Tags, or anybody else trying to play well.

"In the Q63r board everybody likes to checkraise. What percentage of the time aprox. you are checkraising? always? it depends on the oppo"nent WTSD?"

I am check/raising this flop so close to 100% of the time that it is very exploitable. Im basically just hoping no one exploits it. Againt opponents who are highly showdown bound, or who have figured me out, I would not do this.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:22 AM

yes, 3 bet preflop, we will not be dominated very often, its more important to attack with 2 high cards when none of them is an Ace since we want him to feel bad about an A hitting

he will bluff less and feel less good about calling down wih Ax where x isnt 2 high, so hand will be easier to play, we will also get paid on Kxx and Jxx flop since he is hoping we got Ax
Old 06-19-2007, 05:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

And usually in a very dry A-high board, if the opponent doesn't have an ace, he is probably checking behind the turn, and we can see a free river card.

[/ QUOTE ]

But what's your play on the river if the turn goes check check?
He often behinds 2nd pair or a pocket pair, which he will call with if you bet out on the river. And if you check the river, he will bet every pair and maybe bluff with Q high kind of hands.

I think betting out doesn't make sense, so you can only hope for a check behind from hopeless hands or check/call if he is aggressive.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:59 AM

Check-call on the river I suppose. We are not going to fold better hands, but perhaps he is bluffing a hand with no showdown value, or checking behind.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:57 PM

c/c is the only option, but it sucks. it allows him to play the river perfectly, if he hasnt seen us c/r the river a lot.

the call on the A72 flop maybe correct equitywise, but turn and river suck if they blank off, thus we will wont be able to play 4th and 5th street optimal.
not sure if that fact makes the call a -ev play.

thoughts?
Old 06-20-2007, 03:30 PM

I would cr all mentioned boards, except the 854 2 flush board, which I would c/f. I also throw in folds w/ all these boards occassionally since this would be what I would be doing on these boards with anything I called pf w/.