Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 07:02 PM

Default 1/2NL: Help w/ QQ!! I butchered this hand!!

1/2NL live game. Game has actually been rather tight, with 2-3 big stacks who are playing maybe 1 hand every orbit (if even that!). Villain in hand has been somewhat active, relative to the other players, but still rather tight. Original raiser in hand is normally VERY tight, but will occassionaly make some odd plays, but rarely will bet/raise without the goods.

Villain has about 250. Raiser has about 120. I cover.

Villain limps in LP, folds to Raiser who is OTB and makes it 10 to go. I have Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the BB. Normally I'd reraise here, but given that Raiser is rather tight and will probably fold everything except QQ/KK/AA/AK, I decide to just call. Unexpectedly, Villain calls also (well, I should have guessed that would happen).

Flop 3-way, $30 in pot:
J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I check, wanting to see what the action would be behind me. Villain bets 17. Raiser calls. I just call.

(I know, probably should have raised here and get value from FDs and Js, but I was thinking of c/r a blank turn and rep a bluff and hopefully get both of their stacks in)

Turn 3-way, $81 in pot:
4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I check. Villain bets 35. Raiser thinks about it for a while, then finally folds. I min-raise villain to 70!!! Villain then goes, "oh yeah? I raise" and raises 75 on top of my raise, leaving himself with very little behind.

My thinking for this line was villain could be betting with either made flushes, sets, pair+FDs, or maybe just Js. If I min-raise him here, it looks very much like I have a flush, and he would slow down with anything except a made flush or maybe a set. I think he would call down with most pair+FDs and sets, and maybe even Js if he thinks I'm bluffing. But when he went over the top, I felt for certain he had the flush. After thinking for a while, I finally folded.

Then villain showed 7To.

Obviously I should have c/r the flop and prepared to get stacks in (vs original raiser), but what other lines can i take?
Old 10-08-2007, 07:24 PM

Default Re: 1/2NL: Help w/ QQ!! I butchered this hand!!

In 12 nl live, if you got QQ, KK, or AA, don't get fancy. Get as much in as possible preflop. If the flop gives you an overpair without a three flush board or an obvious straight, be prepared to play it to the felt.

Reraise preflop and assuming your is the last preflop raise, fire at the flop.

Played as is, check raise the flop for most of your stack.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:34 PM

Yeah, I think you missed 3 ez spots to raise.

(1) preflop, $50
(2) flop lead, $25
(3) flop c/r, $80
Old 10-08-2007, 07:43 PM

Yikes.

Yeah, I'm pretty much trying to get as much as I can in preflop, too. If original raiser re-raises you then you have some information about his hand.

FPS on the flop. I like to know where I am. Lead flop. If you want to check raise - a nice healthy raise on the flop - $65.

How big was your stack when you started the hand?

As played, c/c turn. c/c river if it's not nasty.