Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 12:00 AM

Default 1/3NL: A high in RR pot OOP

1/3NL live game. My stack is about 500. Image is probably somewhat loose, but most of the players at the table aren't good enough to play back w/out good cards.

Villain in hand is very loose preflop, but somewhat more predictable postflop. He's normally a calling station, and rarely fires out without the goods. He loves calling with all sorts of draws, either OESDs, FDs, pair+gutshots (sometimes without good implied odds: ex. in another game, he raised in the CO, I reraised OTB w/ AQo, he calls. Flop comes out 7 high, he checks, i bet out 3/4 pot, he calls, turn is a blank, i bet 1/2 pot, he calls again, river goes check, check. He had an OESD on flop and hit a pair on the river to win the pot.) as well as strong made hands HU, but sometimes will bet/raise with combo draws or when he has a made hand and draws are out.

I'm in the SB w/ AJo. There is a straddle to $6, and Villain restraddles to $9. Three more people call the restraddle, I pop it up to $50 to go. Villain thinks about it for a second and calls, everyone else folds. Effective stacks are about $240 after the raise.

Flop comes out 842r. What's the best plan of action here? His cold calling range preflop is very, very wide, although generally it's more towards connectors, gappers, and small/mid PPs.

If I bet and get raised, most likely I'm folding. If I bet and get called, should I shut down on any non paint turn? If I check, and he bets, should I c/r or c/f?
Old 08-16-2007, 01:22 AM

Default Re: 1/3NL: A high in RR pot OOP

I'm assuming the effective stacks of $240 are because he had $290 in his stack prior to this hand (you mean effective stacks are $240 after he calls the raise, not before he does so, right?), which means he either doesn't really have a good idea of implied odds, as you suggest, or he thinks there's a good chance he could be ahead on a lot of flops. Does that narrow his range at all?

Assuming he's not thinking about implied odds, you're HU, and you've represented a good hand so far, 35 is the only decent draw out there, no reason not to cbet. Most 1-3 players will credit you with at least AK here, and more likely a high PP, and from the sounds of it, checking this flop is going to lower your FE a lot. There's about $140 in the pot, so $100 or so sounds good - if he's only calling with a hand, he's calling regardless of any reasonable bet size, so no need to make it any larger.

Fold to anything but a min-raise (and probably to that too), re-evaluate on the turn if he calls (does he understand pot control? Will checking a blank turn indicate weakness to him? Will he fold a PP to a second barrel on the turn? Will he fold a draw or a weak made hand to a 1/2 or 2/3 pot bet on the turn?).

If he calls $100 on the flop there will be ~$340 in the pot, and he'll have $200 behind, which means you need to call an A or J-high on the river if you're checking. Checking an A on the turn might induce a bet from him though.

FWIW, I'm not crazy about repopping this with AJo from the SB. Lots of 1-3 players will call a restraddle with AQ and even AK in this situation, so there's no reason to think you're ahead, and regardless you're out of position in a large pot with a small pot hand. Especially if you're better postflop than your opposition, there are going to be better spots to play hard.