Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2007, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Congress requests WWE\'s steroid-tests documents. Not their place?

Jesus christ, could we quit debating whether or not pro wrestling is a sport?

Congress is [censored] retarded, as usual. Besides the fact that there are a million other things more important, I really don't want tax dollars being spent investigating PRO WRESTLING.

Also, the Congressmen who are pushing for this are opportunistic bastards.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
no one in their right mind considers it a sport

meh, highly highly debatable. is gymnastics not a sport too?

and lol, I dont know how but Im sure this just boils down to money, or congressmen making themselves look good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Professional wrestling would be a sport if it weren't fixed. Atleast in gymnastics, these are honest competitions.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats not where the competition lies. read the rest of my posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a bad argument. Ballet is not a competition, no more so than earning a living as an accountant is. Everybody wants to be or is supposed to be good, and competes against a marketplace where others can do the same thing, though perhaps not as well. That doesn't make an accountant a sportsman and filling out tax forms a sport.

Ballet is an art form. You'd have a much better argument asserting that wrestling is an art form than that it is a sport.

This strikes me as a peculiar attempt to justify steroid use. FWIW, I wouldn't be surprised if steroids are or eventually will be used in ballet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not a justification of steroids at all. As far as this argument goes, in this isntance at least, Im saying they are two seperate issues, steroids isnt even a part of my argument. And no, its not a bad argument, accountants do not use athletic ability to rise to the top of their field. By teh strict definition of "sport" ballet and wrestling are a sport, and I really dont think this can even be debated. Lack of direct competition between competitors does not mean something is not a sport, what it does mean is that it is not a game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly it is being debated. And I think it does mean that it is not a sport. There are no "competitors" on stage at a ballet at all, and there need not even be any in an entire country. Nor is there a prize competed for, or rankings.

Ballet is an art form, not a sport. The argument that ballet is a sport just because it has physical components is reductive to the point of absurdity.

Ballet also has musical components absolutely vital to it -- does that make it a form of music? Painting and sculpture have very vital physical components to them, as does shooting pool. Are these then sports too?

The argument that ballet is a sport is misguidedly reductionist and absurd. Don't hold your breath for ballet to be in the Olympics anytime soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, clearly it is being debated, its just not me thats doing so, its a completely seperate issue as far as this converstion is concerned.

ballet is an art form, but there are many sports that I consider an art form, or at least aspects of sports that are an art. but by the strict dictionary definition of what a sport is, ballet and wrestling are considered a sport. There is no real debate here, unless you just want to be an ass about soemthign you are wrong about.

Painting and sculpture have very vital physical components to them

do you not understand the difference between athletic, and physical components? Why are you arguing this, when you are grasping at nothing, wrong, and frankly...this is a pretty stupid conversation
Old 07-28-2007, 02:09 PM

Back to your original question:

[ QUOTE ]
Is it really Congress's business to request the results/documentation of the WWE's steroid tests?

[/ QUOTE ]

As noted in the article this investigation is through the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform. Quoting their website:

[ QUOTE ]
The Committee on Oversight and Government Reform is the main investigative committee in the U.S. House of Representatives. It has jurisdiction to investigate any federal program and any matter with federal policy implications.

[/ QUOTE ]

So yay, basically they can investigate anything they want to.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Back to your original question:

[ QUOTE ]
Is it really Congress's business to request the results/documentation of the WWE's steroid tests?

[/ QUOTE ]

As noted in the article this investigation is through the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform. Quoting their website:

[ QUOTE ]
The Committee on Oversight and Government Reform is the main investigative committee in the U.S. House of Representatives. It has jurisdiction to investigate any federal program and any matter with federal policy implications.

[/ QUOTE ]

So yay, basically they can investigate anything they want to.

[/ QUOTE ]

this was going to be my question. congress can investigate basically any business as long as it does business over state lines? what kind of penalties can congress specifically hand out?
Old 07-28-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what kind of penalties can congress specifically hand out?

[/ QUOTE ]
That would be the judicial branch afaik.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this was going to be my question. congress can investigate basically any business as long as it does business over state lines? what kind of penalties can congress specifically hand out?

[/ QUOTE ]

This Committee can investigate anything that they think might require some federal legislation or policy. Which means basically anything. They have no power to do anything, but they can recommend that Congress draft new legislation (a bill) or that some federal agency begins enforcing either new or existing policy.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, and somehow the NFL just goes quietly under the radar.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-28-2007, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you dont think wrestling is a sport? by a couple dictionary definitions I think it is personally. The wrestlers may not be competing against eachother, but they are definetly competing against themselves which makes it a sport in my book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because something is athletic does not make it a sport. Sports implies competition and wrestling is clearly not a competition, it is more of an athletic-based soap opera.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
no one in their right mind considers it a sport

meh, highly highly debatable. is gymnastics not a sport too?

and lol, I dont know how but Im sure this just boils down to money, or congressmen making themselves look good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Professional wrestling would be a sport if it weren't fixed. Atleast in gymnastics, these are honest competitions.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats not where the competition lies. read the rest of my posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a bad argument. Ballet is not a competition, no more so than earning a living as an accountant is. Everybody wants to be or is supposed to be good, and competes against a marketplace where others can do the same thing, though perhaps not as well. That doesn't make an accountant a sportsman and filling out tax forms a sport.

Ballet is an art form. You'd have a much better argument asserting that wrestling is an art form than that it is a sport.

This strikes me as a peculiar attempt to justify steroid use. FWIW, I wouldn't be surprised if steroids are or eventually will be used in ballet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not a justification of steroids at all. As far as this argument goes, in this isntance at least, Im saying they are two seperate issues, steroids isnt even a part of my argument. And no, its not a bad argument, accountants do not use athletic ability to rise to the top of their field. By teh strict definition of "sport" ballet and wrestling are a sport, and I really dont think this can even be debated. Lack of direct competition between competitors does not mean something is not a sport, what it does mean is that it is not a game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly it is being debated. And I think it does mean that it is not a sport. There are no "competitors" on stage at a ballet at all, and there need not even be any in an entire country. Nor is there a prize competed for, or rankings.

Ballet is an art form, not a sport. The argument that ballet is a sport just because it has physical components is reductive to the point of absurdity.

Ballet also has musical components absolutely vital to it -- does that make it a form of music? Painting and sculpture have very vital physical components to them, as does shooting pool. Are these then sports too?

The argument that ballet is a sport is misguidedly reductionist and absurd. Don't hold your breath for ballet to be in the Olympics anytime soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, clearly it is being debated, its just not me thats doing so, its a completely seperate issue as far as this converstion is concerned.

ballet is an art form, but there are many sports that I consider an art form, or at least aspects of sports that are an art. but by the strict dictionary definition of what a sport is, ballet and wrestling are considered a sport. There is no real debate here, unless you just want to be an ass about soemthign you are wrong about.

Painting and sculpture have very vital physical components to them

do you not understand the difference between athletic, and physical components? Why are you arguing this, when you are grasping at nothing, wrong, and frankly...this is a pretty stupid conversation

[/ QUOTE ]

Simply repeating yourself isn't making a coherent or defensible argument. You've just been caught out saying something silly and are too stubborn to give the standard "woops!"
Old 07-28-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ballet isn't fundamentally much different than ice skating. If you put them in front of judges and scored their arabesques and entrechats, it would be a sport. They just don't do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

O RLY?