Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Biggest Golf Pet Peeve

Slow groups, and in particular, a 4 some of old women playing slow as [censored]
Old 07-12-2007, 06:46 PM

Lots of good ones here. Two for me.

-guy who sucks REAL bad asking me "what did I do wrong on that swing?" after every other shot. I'm not a pro, hell I'm not even a moderately good golfer. You know what you are doing wrong? Hitting the ball like [censored].

-Not being smart about where you park the cart, sit your clubs, etc. My girlfriend is learning golf and I'm trying to be gentle is teaching her this. I tell her constantly that its ok to be crappy, everyone is crappy while they are learning. But it is not ok to be an idiot and play slowly.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Golfers don't use golf as a verb.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems silly to me to accept the term "golfer" but reject the use of "golfing."

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-12-2007, 09:59 PM

People who dont play ready golf...

....specifically watching someone stand at there ball for a couple minutes and not hit because they are not away, because another person on there foursome is still looking for there ball in the rough or the other guy just isnt ready yet....for christs sakes hit your ball regardless of who is away if your ready and they arent....

....or someone just sitting in there cart smoking a cigarette or tallyin up the card when there up...

...unfortunately I play with some of these retards...
Old 07-12-2007, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Players who spray a 150-yarder OB off the tee, then "drop" to a spot in the fairway 50 yards further than where they crossed OB to play their "2nd shot." Subsequently, they usually like to claim they halved the hole with you or something when you shoot legit 4 or 5, and that's annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]
How about people who don't know the rules? The penalty for OB is replaying the shot with a two stroke penalty. In this case the golfer would be hitting three from the tee.

BO
Old 07-12-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Players who spray a 150-yarder OB off the tee, then "drop" to a spot in the fairway 50 yards further than where they crossed OB to play their "2nd shot." Subsequently, they usually like to claim they halved the hole with you or something when you shoot legit 4 or 5, and that's annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]
How about people who don't know the rules? The penalty for OB is replaying the shot with a two stroke penalty. In this case the golfer would be hitting three from the tee.

BO

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't care if people bend or even break the rules if we're not playing any sort of serious competition. If you would rather drop the ball near (or not near) where it went out of bounds why should I care? You're out there to have fun.

The penalty for hitting it out of bounds is one stroke. You're hitting 3 from the tee because you hit a shot out of bounds (1), took a penalty (2), and are hitting your next shot (3).
Old 07-13-2007, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Korean 20+ handicaps playing from the tips...

Juniors taking 10 minutes to putt each hole b/c they're playing matchplay for a pro-v (ugh, this happened this week to me)...

People spending >2 minutes looking for a ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

tobdog
Old 07-13-2007, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't care if people bend or even break the rules if we're not playing any sort of serious competition. If you would rather drop the ball near (or not near) where it went out of bounds why should I care? You're out there to have fun.

The penalty for hitting it out of bounds is one stroke. You're hitting 3 from the tee because you hit a shot out of bounds (1), took a penalty (2), and are hitting your next shot (3).

[/ QUOTE ]
For the most part I don't either, but the poster in question stated he hated it when somebody broke the rules by dropping closer than he should and then claiming a halve on a hole. When in fact the player is breaking a rule that applies only to a lateral hazard and breaking a rule by not re-teeing and then claiming a halve. What's wrong with this picture? If he didn't claim a halve after that fiasco then it wouldn't be an issue.

And if you want to be precise with the definition of OB, it's a stroke and distance penalty. I put it the way I did so as not to confuse anybody and then followed it with what should happen in the given scenario to make doubly sure. Regardless, I'm quite sure that OB is defined by the inside edge of the stakes or lines at ground level extending vertically both up and down and the penalty for such is stroke and distance. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

BO
Old 07-13-2007, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Another one I hate is starters who are steadfast that "I don't put singles out on the course." I'll come up to the starter--the tee has been empty for half an hour in the late afternoon. I give him my ticket, he says "we don't put singles out, wait for the next person to come." The next "person" is a foursome, so he puts them out ahead of me until he can find someone to match me up with. Meanwhile I could have been on the 3rd tee by then, not holding anyone up and enjoying playing by myself.

Possibly the worst offense of this was when my matched-up foursome finish the 9th, and the other three all quit (for 2 of them that was hole 27 I believe). I go to ten and hit my tee shot, and the starter comes yelling at me: "You can't tee off by yourself!" I told him my playing partners from the front went home. He insisted I wait for other people to be matched up with. I had to wait until 2 more foursomes came off of 9 and let them play through until a twosome came through and I joined them.

[/ QUOTE ]

jesus christ. are you kidding me? playing alone can be awesome.....you can play so fast and it is so quiet.

adding to this.........i am pretty sure the biggest annoyance for me is starters in general. Are they all douchebags? I don't know if I have ever met a starter that isn't a mildly retarded and cocky.

i don't even know what they are there for. Golf should never have tee times and or starters unless it is a guaranteed busy day or a course that is always busy where reservations need to be made. and then, you should check in at the pro shop....pay.......go to the first tee.

also 1 < 2 < 3 < 4...........and people should be let through as their pace of play merits.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
esus christ. are you kidding me? playing alone can be awesome.....you can play so fast and it is so quiet.

adding to this.........i am pretty sure the biggest annoyance for me is starters in general. Are they all douchebags? I don't know if I have ever met a starter that isn't a mildly retarded and cocky.

i don't even know what they are there for. Golf should never have tee times and or starters unless it is a guaranteed busy day or a course that is always busy where reservations need to be made. and then, you should check in at the pro shop....pay.......go to the first tee.

also 1 < 2 < 3 < 4...........and people should be let through as their pace of play merits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree with this. I would always prefer to play a course that has a starter than one without. I recently played a course without a starter for the first time this year and it was miserable. The course wasn't busy but I was in a twosome, there was a sloooooooow foursome in front of us and a fast singleton behind us. One teeing off immediately following another created an immediate backup in which we had to wait and then feel rushed by the guy behind us.