FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: is grimstar a bitch
yes 43 50.00%
yes 43 50.00%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2007, 06:09 PM

Default Re: money vs happiness

[ QUOTE ]
But I hate it. I hate what I do and 95% of the people I work with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, quit IMO, as long as the new job pays enough to support your family. It sounds like you're miserable, and unless you believe in reincarnation you might as well take steps to be less miserable while you're still alive.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:14 PM

OP,

Perhaps you could make a lateral move in your job field and still bank cash and enjoy it more?
Old 10-16-2007, 06:36 PM

OP you said you make more money then you should. You may have been lucky getting such a well paying job. Such chances do not come very often perhaps.
How many hours a week do you work? Does you work leave you no time to do other things?
How many hours a week would you work as a teacher?
Perhaps you don't appreciate it now but perhaps later when you work as much and make much less you will regret it.
Who am i to know.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The American said, "Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos."

[/ QUOTE ]
I love this story (and its variants), and I like to refer to it when people ask why I got off the circuit and moved to Austin.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:19 PM

I work about 60 hours a week, however Im not very productive at work. I spend alot of time surfing the internet (lurking 2+2) and emailing friends.I probably only "work" about 30 hours a week. I was very lucky to get this job, but like you said I'm afraid I will regret quiting when Im making a lot less. TBH Im kinda suprised I haven't been fired yet.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An American tourist was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked.

Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The tourist complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, "Only a little while."

The tourist then asked, "Why didn't you stay out longer and catch more fish?"

The Mexican said, "With this I have more than enough to support my family's needs."

The tourist then asked, "But what do you do with the rest of your time?"

The Mexican fisherman said, "I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos, I have a full and busy life."

The tourist scoffed, " I can help you. You should spend more time fishing; and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat: With the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats. Eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor; eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You could leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then Los Angeles and eventually New York where you could run your ever-expanding enterprise."

The Mexican fisherman asked, "But, how long will this all take?"

The tourist replied, "15 to 20 years."

"But what then?" asked the Mexican.

The tourist laughed and said, "That's the best part. When the time is right you would sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions."

"Millions?...Then what?"

The American said, "Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos."

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't the American have sex with his mistress in his porsche somewhere in this story?

On second thought, if the difference in pay is significant, you may need to reconsider. While money is not absolutely essential in a person's life, I have personally experienced the hardships that lack of money can bring. If you feel that you can still support your family with the new job and later on provide your children with money for their college educations, then go for it.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't the American have sex with his mistress in his porsche somewhere in this story?

[/ QUOTE ]
posts like this make me weep for the future
Old 10-16-2007, 08:21 PM

A friend of mine highly recommends this book: link

He seems happy.