Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 03:06 PM

Default Los Angeles: Things To Do And Places To Go

So after four years of school in Washington, DC, I finally moved to the west coast. Just signed the lease and moved into a place in Santa Monica at 23rd and Arizona, for those familiar with the area. Since I'm totally new to this city, I thought that would be a good excuse for a resource thread.

New York Version
SF Bay Area Version

Like the other two versions, please include any and all reccomendations for great places to hang out, shop, eat, drink, excercise, etc. Please include at least a brief description of the places you list. Hopefully this will give me, and all the other LA area 2+2ers a good list of stuff to do.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Los Angeles: Things To Do And Places To Go

Watch a movie at the fox theater in Westwood.

Consider smuggling in some Diddy Riese cookies from across the street, or maybe just get an ice cream sandwich after the movie.

These things are only a buck, cookies are three for a dollar and delicious.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:46 PM

On one of those freakishly clear days we get every now and then, drive up to the old Nike missile base West of the 405 on Mulholland. Panoramic 360 views of LA and the valley. Sunset on a clear day is pretty incredible. Lots of mountain bike trails start from there.

Take Mulholland as far as you can go west. If you start going down into houses you've gone too far or made a wrong turn.

I'm curious to know if anyone knows if you can get up to the top of Mt. Baldy or Mt. Wilson (or something similar) at sunset? On one of those rare crystal clear days, I imagine you could see the whole LA Basin, which would be pretty spectacualar.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:38 PM

Langer's.

Get a pastrami (LDO) and an egg cream.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:25 PM

I like the Nippy Cheese sandwich at Langer's. Mmmmmmm.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:45 PM

Sushi Nozawa in Studio City. A few people say this place is overrated. But I thought it was the best sushi I've ever had, and I didn't know anything about the reputation when someone took me there. If you're a sushi fan you have to at least try this place. If possible take a friend who's never heard of it and see what they think. It's got the highest zagat rating of any sushi place in LA. I keep meaning to go back and do a real trip report with pics.

They call the chef who runs it the "Sushi Nazi". Supposedly he will kick you out if you try to order a California roll. Basically everyone just orders the special (omakase) and they start bring rounds of stuff until you tell them to stop (each round is charged).

Lots of tuna when I went, which is awesome for me. We let them go one round too far and couldn't finish our toro. The first round was some kind of tuna pieces in a tasty sauce that was unlike anything I've ever had a sushi place. It's the only sushi place I've ever eaten where the rice is warm, which seemed to make a huge difference.

The place looks like a hole in the wall, but is not cheap. Plan on spending $60-100/per. Also it's tucked away in a little strip mall, on a stretch of road where every strip mall has a sushi place.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:21 PM

Also, the cinnamon cake donut at Stan's in Westwood.

- Go to Hennesey's in Hermosa and sit on the roof, drink, and watch the world go by.

Basically, LA's got lots of good stuff, but most of it is severely overrated or just plain sucks, though.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:23 PM

Pink's Hot Dogs! If you can stand waiting in line.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:25 PM

James Beach in Venice has the best tuna tartare, and possibly the best calamari I've ever had. So good.

I've never tried Pinks. Is it worth the wait?
Old 09-24-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pink's Hot Dogs! If you can stand waiting in line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not worth the wait, imo (but definitely solid). I prefer "The Weiner Factory" in Sherman Oaks.

Suzzer - good call with Nozawa, [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] that place. Asanebo, Tama and Katsu-Ya are all within spitting distance of Nozawa on Ventura in Studio City. Asanebo is the best imo, and Tama has the best omakase value, but it's all really good.

-Al