Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-25-2007, 04:41 PM

Default Re: GF invites me to wake, whats my line?

Don't go. Meeting GF's family is awkward enough under normal conditions. It's inappropiate for her to ask you to meet her family at a wake, IMO. Hopefully she'll be able to see this.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:10 PM

Perhaps a good way to get into the families.. good graces. Go, meet them, and ask to hear stories about ol' gramps. Maybe he was a really cool guy. Maybe you can learn something about his life that you can apply to your own short existence on this planet.

Or you could waste the day playing video games/golf/poker while severly destroying your current relationship.

All else aside, this seems like the perfect time to meet the family. Being there by itself shows that you care for their daughter, it shows you're a stand up individual. And most importantly, you don't really have to make much small talk. A simple "Hello, sorry for you loss" and you're off the hook. You'll never get another chance like this again. (And if the people really want a distraction, they can just ask this new person about himself, and any mundane BS he spouts off will help distract them, which they'll be grateful for. Ego boosting for you, a distraction for them, everyone's a winner!)
Old 11-25-2007, 06:14 PM

Break up with her to get the upper hand. If she comes back she won't pull any of this BS.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:25 PM

kkf always posts serious advice in his own trolling threads, it's how you know it's his work.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
She gave me 1 day notice (its tomorrow). She told me to call her back because she had to go, we didn't finish talking about it

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a terrible breach of etiquette by the deceased. Save the Date cards should be sent at least eight weeks in advance of a wake. One should retain a suicide doctor if necessary for scheduling purposes.

OP, I suggest you break up with your gf so she can find someone who's not a douchebag.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I sense a little sarcasm in this post.

Personally, this issue to me has nothing to do with the grandfather. It has to do with going to a wake, which ive never been to, to meet alot of people who I have never met and feel sad.

Maybe I am an [censored] and insensitive, but I don't think I am.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:43 PM

I'm with ya Man. She should have given more notice.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's your line: "I only sleep with female corpses. So I'll take a pass on this one. But how's your Grandma doing?"

[/ QUOTE ]

I said this to her and she got this bitchy attitude. I guess she really doesn't like me =\

</level>
Old 11-25-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here's your line: "I only sleep with female corpses. So I'll take a pass on this one. But how's your Grandma doing?"

[/ QUOTE ]

I said this to her and she got this bitchy attitude. I guess she really doesn't like me =\

</level>

[/ QUOTE ]

Sarcasm this obvious != level

In fact, it may actually be a negative level.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So her grandfather died after alot of hospitalizations, and she definatley saw it coming and so did her family but she isn't taking it well. I have to drive awhile and meet her family, which i've never done, and I really don't want to go. We aren't very serious. Is it -ev to just say "I don't want to go." and be honest?

I don't think lying is a good line... and I wouldn't expect her to attend a wake for my family and I doubt I would even invite her unless she knew the family member.

need help =-0

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't want to break up, go. If you do, then be honest, then break up with her in a couple of weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would I break up with her, because her grandfather died? That makes no sense. If she can understand my hesitation then there is no problem between us.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:55 PM

Well, as you said, you two aren't too serious. If you wanted to help move along the relationship, this would be a great opportunity to. If you don't want to, then skipping out would be a great move. There's not that much to it, and that's why everyone thinks you're ready to bolt on this girl.

If you want to talk to her about why you have some apprehension about going, feel free to. It could help bring you two together. But don't do it with the idea that there's no chance you're going. Go in with an open mind and the awareness that she's going thru a lot more than some possible social awkwardness and you'll be okay. Probably. Or she'll think you're a totally selfish prick. It's hard for me to say, as I don't know how she feels about you. She obviously has some feelings for you, or she wouldn't want you there with her, as her emotional support.