Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 09:42 PM

Default Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

Here is the view from my porch again.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:17 PM

what a complete douche bag.

"He thought he'd pursue a self-designed independent photojournalism project on the notorious sex industry there."

"He'll never forget the first time he was offered a girl no older than 12."

"These children didn't choose anything about their lives," he said. "They're just born into it."

"It's estimated that 25 percent of Thailand's national economy is based on child prostitution."

LOL
Old 10-22-2006, 10:29 PM

This thread has convinced me, and I am planning on spending hopefully 2 weeks exploring thailand in January. Im thinking half in the bigger cities, half in some remote place hiking/backpacking and just getting away from the world.

I have to give a persuasive speech in class tuesday. I think I might do it on the attractiveness of a vacation to thailand. Which means tomorrow I am gonna read a lot of the earlier posts, maybe browse through the whole thread. INSTA expert on thailand.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:02 PM

$250 a month for that? wow, if I like Thailand I need to move there ASAP (atleast for the winters, snow has already hit the ground here and will stay put until probably April/May) and just enjoy life. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2006, 11:14 PM

Actually, I found a much nicer place for only $200 a month.

Its bigger, newer, and has a shared swimming pool! Buts its not availble yet so I need to wait. There are some sweet deals in Thailand.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread has convinced me, and I am planning on spending hopefully 2 weeks exploring thailand in January. Im thinking half in the bigger cities, half in some remote place hiking/backpacking and just getting away from the world.

I have to give a persuasive speech in class tuesday. I think I might do it on the attractiveness of a vacation to thailand. Which means tomorrow I am gonna read a lot of the earlier posts, maybe browse through the whole thread. INSTA expert on thailand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, IMO, u want at least 3 weeks. You've gotta realize what a buzzkill the flight over here and back is. You also gotta understand how crazy the jet lag is.

i'd recommend 3-4 weeks.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:52 PM

Agreed.

You need like 2 days in bangkok to see some sights, then you hope on a plane to Chiang mai for 3 days, fly to Samui for 2 days. Hope over to KPN for a night. Goto Koh Tao / Nangyuan for 2 night. Back to samui and fly to Phuket. See phuket for 2 days. Head to krabi and out to some islands for 4 days at various places. Head to a few more islands for short trips.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:48 PM

Questions:

1. If I was to plan a trip it would likely be for 3-4 weeks and it would be me, my wife and my son. Are you aware of any sort of established babysitting/nanny service? Basically I would want to hire a live-in nanny for a month. I won't ask if it's possible, since you've stated that pretty much anything is on the table for the right price, rather, do you have any ideas on setting something like this up? 18-25 years old and cute would of course be a plus, but as the wife will be along, for viewing pleasure only.

2. My wife really likes the all-inclusive spa style vacations ala Mexico or Jamaica. I don't particularly like the price/quality ratio of these trips. Would it be feasible to go to one the islands mentioned and rent a 4 or 5 out of 5 star apartment or villa for a month that has access to a pool, gym and the like.

3. Alternatly, are the spa resort type places priced at 25%-35% of US costs like everything else, or do you get the standard "This is for tourists so it will be really expensive" markup. There's nothing more irritating than paying $80 for an hour massage when you know damn well the Masseur is getting maybe $5 for it.

4. I understand that the tailors can reproduce mens suits from magazines. Is this possible for women's clothing as well? Or are the tailors for men's clothes only? In other words, do the same sort of services exist for womens clothes?

Random comment: Maybe if I go I can find a nanny/cook/housekeeper and ship her home for like $2000k a year. 4x the average annual wage for her, really really good deal for me.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:50 PM

Got through looking at half of this thread during class today, gonna tackle the 2nd half now.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:55 PM

You might be able to arainge a nany for your trip in Thailand. Nicer hotels might even have a service available for you.

Spas are not that cheap here but you can goto a reagular massage place and get a 2 hour massage for $10-15.

There is no way you can get a nanny/cook to come to the USA for $2,000 a year. Your out of your mind. The Aurpair program which is basically what you are looking for makes you pay the Thai girl $175 a week or more. You have to pay standard minium wage. You think just cause they are thai you can pay them $2 an hour? Do you know anything about labor laws? What your asking for is a slave.
Closed Thread