Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 12:32 PM

Default How was this flush played on the river?

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (5 handed) Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($10.05)
BB ($9.15)
UTG ($9.85)
MP ($5.20)
Hero ($9.65)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.35</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $0.25.

Flop: ($0.75) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $0.75</font>, Hero calls $0.75.

Turn: ($2.25) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $2.25</font>, Hero calls $2.25.

River: ($6.75) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6.3 (All-In)</font>, BB calls $5.80 (All-In).

Final Pot: $18.35

Was it okay of me to assume that my opponent had a J and not a 6 or a 7? Especially considering he checked to me? Was my river move right?
Old 11-25-2007, 12:34 PM

Default Re: How was this flush played on the river?

Either raise this flop or dont call the turn. Your implied odds arent good enough and you need to consider that you may be drawing dead already.

As played betting the river is mandatory, the only thing you need to be thinking of is how big you want the bet to be.

Dont call PSBs on flop and turn with a flushdraw on paired boards though. Youre not getting anywhere near a right price for that.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:36 PM

Fold preflop.
Raise/Call flop
Fold turn
River is bad since he will just call you down with a better hand most often. Maybe a 1/3 pot bet and fold to a raise.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising K4s OTB is pretty standard if you have the postflop skills. *looks at the hand again* ... yeah, fold preflop.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:40 PM

I understand the way I played the hand was pretty bad and I have to work on how to play my flushes/straight draws.

I was going to raise the flop but somehow stopped myself from doing it. If I had raised the flop, and pushed back for all my chips, do I have the odds to call?
Old 11-25-2007, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand the way I played the hand was pretty bad and I have to work on how to play my flushes/straight draws.

I was going to raise the flop but somehow stopped myself from doing it. If I had raised the flop, and pushed back for all my chips, do I have the odds to call?

[/ QUOTE ]

Trying to find out yourself will be the best excercise you can ask for. Get a pen and a paper and do some math!

edit: okay, Im gonna help you a little. Against a NL10 FTP players shoving range you have no more than 40% equity. Your raise on the flop should be around $2.25.

Now find the odds you will be getting and compare them to the (approx.) equity you have.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:53 PM

Assuming I put my opponent on a J here, I have a 45% of improving towards the best hand and taking the pot down (assuming my K isn't dead)

What now?

Also however, assuming that my opponent has a J, I don't think I have very good FE. Villains stats weren't too important here since it's only 25 hands: 40/4/.9
^But it makes 100% sense that he's holding a J, at least when it gets to the turn.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

River is bad since he will just call you down with a better hand most often. Maybe a 1/3 pot bet and fold to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would an opponent check his Full house to me on the river? The only thing that I think made sense in the hand was my river bet since there's still a big chance he's calling me with worse hands.

Villain showed:<font color="white"> QJos</font>
Old 11-25-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming I put my opponent on a J here, I have a 45% of improving towards the best hand and taking the pot down (assuming my K isn't dead)

What now?

Also however, assuming that my opponent has a J, I don't think I have very good FE. Villains stats weren't too important here since it's only 25 hands: 40/4/.9
^But it makes 100% sense that he's holding a J, at least when it gets to the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont put your opponent on a J only. He could be taking the exact same line with J7 or 66, maybe a lower flushdraw. By including some hands that dont let your K live you come down to approx. 40%.

The thing about FE here is that his flopbet doesnt really mean anything. You DO have FE because his flopbet includes such a wide range of cards. He could be bluffing or betting his set, we dont know. Only by the time he shoves over our (imaginary) raise we can narrow his range to something like an overpair, a J or a set.

The question you are facing then is are you getting the odds to call (eventhough you know that you are behind) I.e, what is LESS costly, calling or folding.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:09 PM

If I raise to 2.5 and he comes over the top of me, that means so far I've put in $3 into the hand. I have to call $6 more so wouldn't this play be slightly +EV assuming I have a 40% chance of taking the pot? Is this right considering I've already invested $3 meaning I'm getting 2:1 on my money?

What if my % was 33 of winning the pot? Would calling here be neutral EV?

^I apologize if this is completely off