Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 09:42 AM

Default Re: England out, what now for the FA?

IMHO the England national team is pretty good and should've qualified for the Euros. However, I would argue that they are overrated.

Take the treatment of Eriksson, for example. He took England to the quarter finals in all 3 major tournaments during his period (WC '02 and '06 and EC 04). They were arguably unlucky in some of those quarter finals, as well. This puts England in a definite top 8 in the world, and England should be thrilled by being in this category.

Eriksson was sacked (for other reasons as well, I know) and McClaren took over. To me, this shows that the England squad isn't as strong as some (atleast the England press) think it is.

That said, I will miss England in the Euros next year.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:45 AM

Individually the players at our disposal are excellent players. If you were to consider our first choice 11 from the World Cup:

Robinson, Neville, Rio, Terry, A Cole, Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard, J, Cole, Rooney, Owen.

Apart from Robinson, most if not all of these players are World Class Players. Their England performances suggest they are overrated, but they do it on the biggest stage of all, The Champions League. 8 of these players played (or would've played but couldn't due to injury) in the Champions League Semi-Finals last year for Chelsea, Liverpool and Man Utd. These players are regulars for their clubs and its safe to assume that Chelsea, Man Utd and Liverpool are among the best teams in World. Players like Wayne Rooney, Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard are vital parts of these teams. Why are they vital? Because they are Top Class footballers. So why do they perform so poorly for England? Last night Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard were anonymous. I don't believe in the fact they cannot play together. There has to be a system or manager who can make them work. Jose Mourinho was desperate to bring Gerrard to Chelsea so they could play together so he clearly believes it can work. But it's not just down to them. The whole team doesn't work together. Croatia were a decent side but would never finish above Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd or Liverpool in the Premier League. England should not be losing to this team at home. It comes down to poor management and poor tactics. If England want to get out of this hole, the players are not the problem. They need a World Class Manager. Everyone knew two years ago, Steve McClaren was not a World Class Manager. Well this is a better time than any to get one. Capello, Lippi, Mourinho are all available. Hiring one of them will not guarantee winning the World Cup in 2010 but it will guarantee England as significant contenders.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

England may be over rated, but as English fan I am comparing the current side to sides we have had in the past not other international sides. In that respect we have probably the best team in my living memory. The only thing we lack is a true footy genius ala Gazza.

However this qualifying campaign is the worst campaign barr perhaps the period when Graham Taylor was in charge, but then again he had Carlton Palmer in the squad. So given that we have much more talent then when Taylor was in charge, the current turn of events is unforgivable.

I mean not that long ago, our team had David Batty in it and Phil Nevile and we still did better than we have over the last year or so. That is unforgivable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Got to disagree with that we have some good players but this bunch is no better then many squads we have had over the last twenty years. And this squad is very thin in some positions Downing as the only natural left winger. Strikers who cant get a game for their clubs poor cover for the first choice full backs no out standing goal keeper.
Taylor had a shortage of central midfielders but he had his pick from several left wingers a big pool of strikers and overlooked players who would walk straight into this England squad Waddle, Ogrizovic, Coton, Beardsley.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:05 PM

I wouldnt say England are overrated its more that they've underpeformed for their country and if you see them week in week out they're easily world class players. Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, Terry, Ferdinand. All world class players who would walk into almost any team in the world.

Richards is fast developing into a world class defender. A. Cole, J. Cole, SWP are all playing at the highest level. Owen's still a great finisher. I agree they lack depth in certain areas (left wing, strikers) but surely that first 11 alone should be strong enough to make it to the Euros in confortable fashion.

They shouldnt have had to get a result against Croatia. They should've beat Macedonia at home, Israel away or at least get a draw away to either Croatia or Russia.

All those first 11 play in great teams with great attacking talent and verve and yet when they play for England they play too deep, too many long balls, too little passion and aggression that they should. If they could replicate their performances at club level then they'll be a huge international force.

I think Cappelo is the best choice. Known for managing at the top level, working with world class players and has had success where ever he's been in the past few years. I wouldnt have O'Neill becuase I'm a Villa fan [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. Also bring into the sqaud Aggy, Young and Reo-Coker and keep Barry in the first team plz.

They should have played Green in goal imo as he's the best choice for job (young, great shot stopper). Carson still too young, Robinson still too shell shocked. You could argue James but he's probably going to retire within 1-2 years anyway

Saying English players are overrated imo is an ultra retarded thing to say. Watching them week in and week out you can see these players are great players. They're is something very wrong in the English camp and has to be sorted out like say the French did a few years ago or say the Scottish who with new management and introducing some fresh faces turned into a team that nearly stunned us all rather than the atrocity that Vogts turned out
Old 11-22-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Umm, because it's one of the most prestigious (albeit overanalyzed and tormented) positions in football?

[/ QUOTE ]

How prestigious can it be to manage a team who haven't won an international competition since 1966? And the ridiculously inflated expectations that lead to immense pressure on the coach is a very good reason not to take the job if you're the manager of a successful club.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No way Wenger or Fergie ever go coach a national team.

Why not Capello?

Also, English players are overrated. Perhaps your team isn't as good as you think it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

fergie already was scotland coach, and I'm sure that wenger would coach france or england if he felt he had done all he could at aresenal.

McClaren's tactics were piss poor and he never put on the best team. Both him and Sven have continually tried to put both Lampard and Gerrard on the pitch at teh same time, and it's painfully obvious that it just doesn't work. English players aren't over rated, they just didn't do the business this time. Recently holland didn't qualify for the World Cup, so would dutch players be over rated if we are going by your logic? The same could be said about french or italian players if Scotland didn't bottle it against georgia because either one of those nations shouldn't be in it right now either. that is some pretty hollow logic that you are using
Old 11-22-2007, 07:48 PM

Much as I am loath to reply to someone who thinks I am the worst poster on 2+2. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

There is one name strangely absent from all these discussions.

Harry Rednnap.

Hasnt won much, but has melded a disparate force of journeymen and slightly past its into a very respectable football force that punches above its weight.

Portsmouth should be in a relegation battle every season given the core fundamentals of the club but HR has taken the team far beyond those fundamentals.

Sounds like a perfect candidate, accepting that he is has never shown the slightest interest in the position. Skeletons in the closet I suspect. He is a bit of a wide boy. I suspect he dosnt want the media attention that the position would bring.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:12 AM

I think 'arry would be a great england manager. I'd also imagine that if he had ever gotten a job with a bigger club, he'd probably have won a prem title. He's always been good with getting below average players to play better, so imagine what he would do with the talent that england has
Old 11-23-2007, 12:31 AM

Please, not Redknapp. He's a twitcher, and I don't mean that in the ornithilogical sense. I couldn't possibly stand to watch the man in a post match interview and basically he's not up to the job. IMO there is no Englishman currently capable of filling the role. The FA should throw money (if there is any left) at Mourinho until he relents, if they have the balls. The man knows the English league well enough and could do very well provided he is allowed to influence every aspect of selection, tactics etc. The FA need to realise they can't employ another 'yes man' like McLaren and Mourinho would never agree to that kind of situation.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:50 PM

I'd say there's almost no chance that they hire an English manager. (Correct) popular sentiment is that none of them are world-class (and the fans still delude themselves into thinking the English team is world class).