Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 07:33 AM

Default Re: Negative Numbers are Confusing

I couldn't believe that someone would give their name to a newspaper and give a quote like that. Who's proud of being that dumb? It annoys me a lot more than it should, I was on the verge of messaging people with that name & location on facebook until I realised how insane that was...
Old 11-14-2007, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My Uncle works for the Indiana Lottory and when they first introduced Texas Hold Em scratch cards they had by far the highest number of unclaimed prizes of any scratch card they had ever produced, presumably because people couldn't discern winning hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

funny thing is even if they were too dumb to figure out the winning hand

lotto tickets have 2letters that if they match it means you win, so its easy to see if you won
Old 11-14-2007, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't believe that someone would give their name to a newspaper and give a quote like that. Who's proud of being that dumb? It annoys me a lot more than it should, I was on the verge of messaging people with that name & location on facebook until I realised how insane that was...

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually science has proved that if you’re just a little bit dim you know it and keep your mouth closed, but if you’re truly stupid you’re less likely to work out that you’re functioning at a lower level then the rest of society so are unashamed to go right ahead and express your retarded views.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:41 AM

"More than 15m adults in Britain have poor numeracy - the equivalent of a G or below at GCSE maths "

heh wildddddd stat, i don't really believe it for a second.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My Uncle works for the Indiana Lottory and when they first introduced Texas Hold Em scratch cards they had by far the highest number of unclaimed prizes of any scratch card they had ever produced, presumably because people couldn't discern winning hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

funny thing is even if they were too dumb to figure out the winning hand

lotto tickets have 2letters that if they match it means you win, so its easy to see if you won

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair to the idiot, she probably knew that. She was complaining that the card was being treated as a loser, even though it should have been a winner (because she believes -8 > -6).
Old 11-14-2007, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"More than 15m adults in Britain have poor numeracy - the equivalent of a G or below at GCSE maths "

[/ QUOTE ]
That'd be 1/3 adults, I find it pretty hard to believe too
Old 11-14-2007, 09:50 AM

I think the lottery company was begging for this mess to happen with the "higher/lower number" wording rather than "higher/lower temperature". Assuming that people who buy scratch cards are competent of doing even the most basic math is not clever. If they were good at math, they probably wouldn't play the lottery in the first place.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If they were good at math, they probably wouldn't play the lottery in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

ugh
Old 11-14-2007, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If they were good at math, they probably wouldn't play the lottery in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't like this assumption. I play the lottery (on rollovers) even though it has poor EV. If I win, £10m is a lot of money. If I lose, £5 is an irrelevant amount of money. The utility of winning is high whilst the cost is essentially zero, so why not enter? It also ensures some money goes to charity and that you get to harbour the fantasy of winning.

I do like the idea that the odds of you winning the lottery are essentially the same whether you enter it or not though.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you translate this to American? It sounds bad but I don't know what they're saying.