Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 02:28 PM

Default Re: The Quitting Smoking Thread

This Christmas will be two years for me since I last smoked and I can't imagine ever going back. I smoked and chewed for twenty years and it was a huge relief to finally beat my addiction.

How did I do it? I can't say this is the "right" way, but it worked for me:

1) took a week off of work and told myself that I would lock myself in a closet if need be
2) started the patch and made it three days without tobacco
3) bought a bag of weed and stayed very high for the rest of my week off.
4) wore the patch for about two months, but supplemented it with the nicotine gum for when the cravings hit
5) dropped the patch after two months, but continued to use the gum for about another two.

I know you are not suppose to use both the patch and the gum, but one by itself was just not enough at first (I took in much more nicotine than that smoking and chewing all day). I had to be careful with the gum though. If I chewed it for too long it would give a really bad case of the hic-cups.

However you approach it, I hope you make it.

Kitch
Old 09-18-2007, 06:33 PM

Chantix is supposed to work. My aunt has been smoking for like 25 years and is a recovering alcoholic. Very addictive personality. It worked for her.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:12 PM

I just started using the patch today, actually about 20 minutes ago. My arm is itching like crazy, but I dont think the nicotine has taken over my bloodstream yet. I finally got the will power to slap one of these suckas on! Hopefully this thing works and hopefully this itching goes away soon.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:05 PM

Try getting a friend involved with a prop bet or something to help. I lucked out and had a friend offer me an 1/8th of really good weed if I quit smoking for a month. The best part was I was totally busto, so I couldn't even afford smokes.
EDIT: I went totally cold turkey (no $$ for patch, gum, etc.). I also quit drinking alcohol (normally free or really cheap..COLLEGE) since the temptation to smoke is crazy while drinking.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:53 PM

I actually had a couple people wanna take bets with me on how long I would last but I chose not to, cuz I dont think im gonna make it even a week without a smoke. This is gonna be basically on me to quit, I do have a lot of support with my friends and internet friends and that is good enough for me at this moment.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:51 PM

I have been a smoker for about 8 years. Gave a weak effort to quit a few times the past year. Had a 4 day weekend this past one and didn't smoke at all. Promised my wife every morning that I wouldn't smoke that day. Don't know about the rest of you but I am a man of my word. So that is my plan to quit for good. Every morning I will promise to not smoke that day and I bet I will not. Working so far. On day 5. Just taking it one day at a time. Good to do cause if you picture the rest of your life without smokes it seems like such a daunting task. But one day at a time is a piece of cake.