Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 01:29 AM

Default question about MTT push fold strategy

This question mainly pertains to when you have an average to slightly above average stack and you're ITM

at what point does push/fold become proper strategy? I tend to do it once my stack gets to average to below average, and i'll push with a range of 55+, ATs+,AJo+

Is this a leak? I feel like if i raise PF and miss i now will most likely c-bet and risk getting involved in a pot that I cannot afford. And if i lose said pot i'm, now in push with trash mode.

any thoughts?
Old 07-05-2007, 01:31 AM

Default Re: question about MTT push fold strategy

Most people use the 10BB rule. If you have 10BB or less, it is shove or fold. And you should be adjusting your shoving range based on your position, table dynamics, exactly how many BBs you have, if the blinds will be going up soon, etc.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:42 AM

1. i think the blind structure is important if u are a smaller stack w 20g and blinds are 600-1200 i would not shove bc you don't give yourself an out on weaker hands and get value from strong ones.

2. don't c-bet if called (especially multi way) and you think the flop is not +ev to bet. there isn't a rule that says you must c-bet
Old 07-05-2007, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most people use the 10BB rule. If you have 10BB or less, it is shove or fold. And you should be adjusting your shoving range based on your position, table dynamics, exactly how many BBs you have, if the blinds will be going up soon, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Less than average is wayyyyy too impatient for 55 UTG AT AJ etc.. Being that... average could be 1700 chips after 10 minutes and I have 1400 left ...I go with M=5-7 and shove any ace, any pair any one paint. If you need a diefination of M reads the Harrington on Hold Em books by Dan Harrigton for a detailed dicussion on M, shoving etc.

I guess my point is my range is tighter and positional until push with trash mode.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:01 PM

This isn't a leak. This is the titanic.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:08 PM

How do antes change the idea of M when it comes to push or fold spots. for example i blinds are 300/600/50 10 handed so 1400 in the pot and i have 9800 and have an M of 7 but 16bb do i push any A still?
Old 07-05-2007, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do antes change the idea of M when it comes to push or fold spots. for example i blinds are 300/600/50 10 handed so 1400 in the pot and i have 9800 and have an M of 7 but 16bb do i push any A still?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because M is the amount in your stack divided by the amount of $ in the pot to start the hand. So antes + blinds = lower M than only blinds.

But assuming you already knew that, HOH says that M < 5 is push or fold.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:50 PM

HoH also states you should begin contemplation of Push or Fold below 10 (My range for this are med+ PP AQ+, however. It's tight but I can't afford to do anything other than the most +EV play. Pot committing with a raise with JJ then a K flopping means I'm dead if they have a K anyway, but I can't let the hand go there, and with AK, etc. I need to see 5 cards, etc.).

My range under 5 is SC, Aces, Paint......late position...23o in SB...really....maybe in BB too.....I get totally desperate :P
Old 07-05-2007, 09:10 PM

who cares if you're avg, How many blinds do you have and what kind of table are you at is all I think about.

Being avg, below avg, or above avg doesn't matter.