Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Notre Dame 8-1
1 0 0%
2 1 2.78%
3 1 2.78%
4 0 0%
5 1 2.78%
6 2 5.56%
7 2 5.56%
8 11 30.56%
9 5 13.89%
10 13 36.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2007, 01:25 PM

Default Re: AP Visit: I\'m going to Costa Rica

Any updates?

p.s. Anyone thinking it's NOT a good idea for Nat to go is really, really dumb. As has been said a hundred times, we're NEVER going to get a perfect rock-solid 100%-transparent audit -- heck, even if we got a big-4 acct firm to go, there'd be people screaming that they don't know poker well enough to ask the right questions. Considering where we are with this situation, what options are on the table for us, and just how far we've come, I'll put my trust in any combination of Nat/Adanthar/Snaggle, thank you very much. Nat, please re-consider your apparent decision not to go -- those of us with an ounce of common sense are all on your side here.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How much more do you need to know?
And what are you going to do with that information?

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to know as much as I can. The depth and scope of the impropriety, namely. Wouldn't it be nice to have some cold hard fact to go with all the rampant speculation? Was it $700k over the last three months, or $7-million over the last five years? Scott and AJ, or a motley crew of cheats in CR, Panama, Montana, and Miami? Just 363, or numerous 'superuser' observer clients?

Everyone is assuming that 99% of the AP payroll is crooked. I think it's more likely that 99% of them aren't. Obviously Nat (and anyone else who goes down) should proceed with caution and skepticism, but to universally say "don't go, they're going to brainwash you with PR tactics!!!!!" is hysterical.

Just go and see. It's more responsible than summarily passing judgment based on incomplete information.

And the answer to the second question follows the first. This is a very intriguing story. I want to know more about the plot and the players and how everything went down. Your question suggests you'd rather take what little we know, pass judgment, and file the story away.

There's more here, and I encourage those who may be privy to keep investigating.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If he goes, we'll know more. If he doesn't go, we'll know less.
There's really not much more to it than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AP could come clean with an open letter to the poker community explaining everything that they know about the situation, including names of the cheaters, how it happened, what they are doing to fix the problem, etc., and then invite an entire independent group from the poker community to come down to verify the accuracy of what AP is representing. AP is not doing that. Instead, they appear to have invited an admitted "25 year old kid", who also happens to have technical knowledge and been instrumental in uncovering the cheating at AP, down for a "feel good" visit to their offices in Costa Rica. This is a PR move by AP, nothing more.

I get the sense that a lot of the posters here who are all fired up about this trip are also very young and inexperienced in the ways of the world. The market needs to punish AP, meaning people need to stop playing poker there. I have. Have you?

Now there are a lot of people posting here who don't want to punish AP because they make money from playing there, even if they have been cheated at times. What i don't understand is, even if you make money from playing poker at AP, why wouldn't you just move to another site where this kind of cheating (we think) has not occurred or where we think security is better? Why are some people posting here so interested in AP remaining viable as a business? Surely you can make money from playing poker at other websites? Why do you have such a vested interest in Absolute Poker?
Old 10-24-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

- If you believe Absolute is going to survive, and they convince you that they are serious about cleaning up their act, a forgiving person might be willing to give them some advice on how to proceed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AP could come clean with an open letter to the poker community explaining everything that they know about the situation, including names of the cheaters, how it happened, what they are doing to fix the problem, etc., and then invite an entire independent group from the poker community to come down to verify the accuracy of what AP is representing. AP is not doing that. Instead, they appear to have invited an admitted "25 year old kid", who also happens to have technical knowledge and been instrumental in uncovering the cheating at AP, down for a "feel good" visit to their offices in Costa Rica. This is a PR move by AP, nothing more.

I get the sense that a lot of the posters here who are all fired up about this trip are also very young and inexperienced in the ways of the world. The market needs to punish AP, meaning people need to stop playing poker there. I have. Have you?

Now there are a lot of people posting here who don't want to punish AP because they make money from playing there, even if they have been cheated at times. What i don't understand is, even if you make money from playing poker at AP, why wouldn't you just move to another site where this kind of cheating (we think) has not occurred or where we think security is better? Why are some people posting here so interested in AP remaining viable as a business? Surely you can make money from playing poker at other websites? Why do you have such a vested interest in Absolute Poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I want to know as much as I can. The depth and scope of the impropriety, namely. Wouldn't it be nice to have some cold hard fact to go with all the rampant speculation? Was it $700k over the last three months, or $7-million over the last five years? Scott and AJ, or a motley crew of cheats in CR, Panama, Montana, and Miami? Just 363, or numerous 'superuser' observer clients?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think everyone reading these forums agrees and would like to know more. The best way for that to happen is to bring the site to its knees financially. The people who know the answers to these questions at some point will present those answers. There is a book to be written about all of this. Someone is going to make money off of this story. If you think that one dude going down to Costa Rica for a week is going to provide you with those answers, you are naive. When Absolute Poker is finished as a business and people scatter, that's when the real facts will start to emerge.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Instead, they appear to have invited an admitted "25 year old kid", who also happens to have technical knowledge and been instrumental in uncovering the cheating at AP, down for a "feel good" visit to their offices in Costa Rica. This is a PR move by AP, nothing more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you totally. Unfortunately, I am no longer in that nice, young age bracket and I see reality now for what it is. And yes, I've stopped playing on AP.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:40 PM

The one part I am wary about is any non disclosures needed to be signed.

Being hamstrung on already known sources and material and future revelations not related to the trip would be the worry.

But I think the trip has merit.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't conduct business with them. If everyone else followed suit, they'd be out of business. Is this concept too hard for you to grasp?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-24-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I don't conduct business with them. If everyone else followed suit, they'd be out of business. Is this concept too hard for you to grasp?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

do you have some magical way of making this happen? just look at the site right now and tell me if you think this can ACTUALLY happen.