Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 12:05 AM

Default Re: I sweep, I sweep

[ QUOTE ]
What's interesting to me about this discussion is that I presented a problem and asked for tips or drills to improve. A couple of people said it prob wasn't much of a problem. Fine. Totally fair. But I've yet to get a "try this" response. Instead this has sort of devolved into a distance doesn't much mater discussion.

It might be that clubhead speed doesn't have much to do with this sweeping thing. But still, fellas. If anyone can offer any advice on how to fix this swing flaw, I'd appreciate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sure is tough to say without seeing your swing, but when you say 'sweeping' I picture your arms getting out away from your body on the downswing. So, you might try shortening your swing with the irons. It might help you keep the club working toward the target/coming from the inside.

The old half swing away/half swing follow through will help you concentrate on the hitting zone and getting this crisp feeling.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's interesting to me about this discussion is that I presented a problem and asked for tips or drills to improve. A couple of people said it prob wasn't much of a problem. Fine. Totally fair. But I've yet to get a "try this" response. Instead this has sort of devolved into a distance doesn't much mater discussion.

It might be that clubhead speed doesn't have much to do with this sweeping thing. But still, fellas. If anyone can offer any advice on how to fix this swing flaw, I'd appreciate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll repeat:

[ QUOTE ]
What's your setup like with your approach shots? I used to make the pretty basic mistake of overswinging with these clubs, often opening up the clubface at the same time. That led to a pretty wide range with the wedges, and inconsitent accuracy. If necessary I still play what is essentially a long lob shot with a sand wedge from 55 yards or so, but most of the time I play the shot back in my stance, closing the club face a little, and focus on the right swing path.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my experience over swinging with wedges/scoring irons leads to both lack of distance and/or inconsistent distance and inaccuracy. What feels like a 3/4 swing (at least to me) is really a full swing with these clubs.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:59 AM

Not you bro, you were the exception. sry if I offended.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm saying I'm getting disproportionately less distance. IE, I hit a 7 150, but hit a PW 95ish. SW goes like 60 yds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have any advice, but I thought I'd mention that I have very similar results - the 7i is my stock 150 club and the 10 yard standard gaps I have with the long and middle irons are larger with the short irons: 8i 135, 9i 120, PW 100, SW 75. Because they're consistent and I have so many glaring deficiencies in my game to work on I've never tried to change.

Good luck.