Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2007, 11:11 AM

Default Re: The late but official 2007 NYJ offseason thread

[ QUOTE ]
The Faclons signed him to a six-year, $18 million contract with a signing bonus of $5 million.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh! That's alot of money for a fullback, no? Ah well. Too much money.

I like that Tannenbaum have sat back and waited out the early hours of free agency, staying away from these ridiculous contracts....Clements, Thomas, Dockery, Fletcher, etc. Not making these big splashes now is going to give the Jets alot of cap room 2-3 years down the line, which is when this team might actually be ready to do something special.

It looks more and more like the Jets are building this team in a similiar fashion to that of the Pats, Colts, Chargers, etc. Through the draft and with 2nd tier FA's and not through big time signings like the Skins, who still haven't learned their lesson apparantly.

[ QUOTE ]
Peterson, yes. CJ, I don't know. He's clearly the BPA for as long as he's on the board, but are we really going to give up a bundle to grab a WR? Really? This is prob just [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just a crap rumor. No way do the Jets trade up to get CJ. They just signed Cotchery to an extension and Coles is going to be more than serviceable for another 2-3 years. Peterson, maybe. But trading up to 3 is going to cost us the 25, the 38 and probably a 1st or 2nd next year too & maybe even more than that. No way that happens. The Jets have so many holes to fill and they only way they are doing that is to amass as many picks as possible.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:24 PM

there is no chance the jets will trade up, especially for a receiver. lets hope we get luck and carricker falls to our first pick so we can get someone to replace kemo.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:49 PM

More on the move-up trade talk, taken from another board:

[ QUOTE ]
The Jets are talking to the Lions about moving up to #2. Heard it on John Claytons radio show about an hour ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm against this, but if it happens would seem we're looking for A. Peterson. I don't mind moving Vilma, but I don't want to trade away our draft for this kid. There's speculation that we'd move our #25 Vilma *and* Coles to take C Johnson. I'm against this, and think I'd cry for a long time if we lost Laverneus *and* Vilma. Obv a lot of speculation but it does seem that us moving up is not just riff-raff.

In other news, we're interested in Nick Harper, Joey Porter (who I'd effin love) and Kenyon Coleman, a b/u DE from Dallas who is big, knows the 3-4, and played well in limited time this year. .
Old 03-04-2007, 03:56 PM

I would hate if they traded up to draft an RB. I thought Mangini was better than this?

Now if they got Calvin.... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-04-2007, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would hate if they traded up to draft an RB. I thought Mangini was better than this?

Now if they got Calvin.... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed on both. I don't want to trade up for a back and while I don't necessarily think we *need* Calvin, holy [censored] he's going the amazing and we're a few years off so why the [censored] not. Thing is, I do not want to trade Laverneus *and* Vilma. That's way too much IMO. And I"m not sure if its too much from a value POV or from an "I love these guys" fan-boy POV. But its too much.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:56 PM

Trading Coles and Vilma *and* their first round pick for the second overall pick? Are the Jets nuts?

If they sign Joey Porter, I guess it's doable. Obviously, they're gonna draft Calvin Johnson if a trade like that goes through.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If they sign Joey Porter, I guess it's doable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, the word is they sign Porter and move Hobson to the inside. Still, this sounds highly unlikely. I do however want Porter, trade or not. I think he'd add a Brian Cox element to our young D.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:14 PM

So.... The Lions keep taking recievers with high first round draft picks, and they're all busts (except Roy Williams), and then when Calvin Johnson comes along, they're going to trade down?

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Matt Millen.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:09 AM

Can you say best move ever?

[ QUOTE ]

Tom Rock, of Newsday, reports the New York Jets will probably bring in a veteran QB who can act as a mentor and push QB Kellen Clemens from the No. 3 spot. Unrestricted free-agent QB Vinny Testaverde (Patriots) is one possibility.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-05-2007, 12:38 AM

Testaverde is still playing?! That guy is like the grandpa of football.

Gotta be at least 42 or 43, right?