Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2006, 09:43 AM

Default Re: My first ever AA limp....

It's not like you could have push out queens.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If hero raises 3BB, AQ or QQ villains will assuredly re-raise, and then he'd gotten his pf all-in as well. So in this exact case you gain nothing from the limp. And in most cases you'll be in a heap of trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't reraise with AQ and neither would most good players. A raise from early position will also show a large amount of strength to a perceptive opponent. The only way to hide this is the limp reraise.

All of that being said I still raise 95% of the time with this hand, but limping is something to consider if your opponents are aggressive at this blind level.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't reraise with AQ and neither would most good players. A raise from early position will also show a large amount of strength to a perceptive opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that is the crux of the matter. Most of your opponents aren't good players or perceptive. Granted, op doesn't specify what level this is but if it is anything below $50 I'll guarantee that a majority sucks, and will limp any two in the opening rounds.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Limping aces with blinds at 10/20 makes me want to barf.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that doesn't matter for a solid number of reasons. 20t is NOTHING and if you raise it to 120t and gets folded u make 30t. if you have 5 limpers u can still pot a flop and get a few bets out and play extremely carefully and still be ahead a large amount of the time.

limping at a tight table is NEVER ever a good idea, always come out betting, even if you do take down the blinds.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was just scared of the entire table folding, cause I hadn't played a hand yet...if you're playing at a reasonably tight table, is this ever a good move? This was at a Pokerstars 16 dollar sit and go, so not the highest quality of players, however the main thing I look at when making this move is the likely that there will be another raise, giving me the opportunity to re-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's level 1!!! It's not unusual at all to not play a hand in the first level. Your opponents will not have noticed that you are playing tight. Even IF they did (which they won't) they won't care anyway!
Old 03-30-2006, 12:10 PM

Results still end up being the same even if you raise preflop. It's not like you let a 97s see a cheap flop.

FWIW, just yesterday, I was in a 3-table FPP (satellite to sunday) and some of the players were punishing limpers. We were down to 7 handed and I had the chip lead with 14k and 2nd chip lead was in BB with 7k. I limped UTG (based on prior actions) and folded to SB who completes and BB shoves allin with JJ and my AA held. This propelled me on to take the satellite win.

There are times when it is beneficial to limp aces, your results here would have been the same even if you had raised.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was just scared of the entire table folding, cause I hadn't played a hand yet

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't worry about the table realizing this is the 1st hand you played at a $16