Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2007, 07:39 AM

Default Practice

How do you practice? Or, maybe, how do you suggest I practice?

I live in Brooklyn, have been playing this summer 1-2 times a week and hitting balls at the pier 1-2 times a week. I've taken a couple of lessons. Obviously, what I'm looking to do is improve but have some questions:

1. What's the value of hitting off a mat?

I've been working mostly on my backswing, as that seems to be the area in need--too far inside. So repeating a backswing at the range is obv easy. However, I'm not so sure that striking the ball on the mat has much relation to strking the ball on a course. Seems the best option but still...

2. "Practice on the range, play on the course."

I've seen this a lot and don't really know. Certainly when I think about more than 1-2 things while playing I find I get a bit paralyzed. Am I really meant to just "let it all go and swing" when I'm on the tee-fairway?

3. Short game.

I guess I just have to move. Any NY golfers have access to pitching/sand/chipping practice spots?

-----------------

Any other practice suggestions/tips.concepts suggested would be appreciated.

I have a ton of other questions about this and will likely follow-up. However, tee time in 60 mins and my ride has just arrived.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Practice

1. I hate hate hate hitting off a mat. I will swing a club in my living room than hit off a mat. Standing over the ball feels so much different to me when i'm on a mat - almost like standing on a cart path. Plus, grass stains are major feedback to me about how I'm striking the ball. I look at them after almost every shot.

2. I think the point is to just go with a swing that works well for that day - one that you can execute with 1 swing thought. It's not neceassarily a great swing, but a functioning one at the time.

3. can you just not practice at an actual course as opposed to Joe's driving range? Short game "needs" more practicing than full swing game IMO - at least once you develop a pretty good overall swing.

Practice tips? One thing is to hit your shots while changing clubs like you would on a course - driver - 7 iron - 3 wood - 8 -iron, etc.

Also, I never liked to end practicing by hitting my driver becasue that's the club I will tend to overswing. I like to go back to standard 8 iron or something to leave the range with a good tempo.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:29 PM

Could some of the semi-pros give advice, I'm also interested.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:49 PM

1. Practice on grass >> Practice off mat >> Practice off carpet at home. Practicing off mats is better than nothing. At home use a mirror to make sure you are actually doing what you think you need to do.

2. Practice on the range the way you play at the course. For at least half your range balls, try picking different targets, different clubs, and executing your routine. On the course, think about your swing thought in the practice swing, then focus on the shot/target

3) Not sure what the short game practice areas are like in NY. Try to hit some practice shots during your round if possible, hit tons of wedges different distances and heights on the range if nothing else.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:55 AM

PM me anytime brett. I'm not a PGA pro, but I graduated from SDGA and have three years experience so far.

I always recommend getting a weighted club and learning how to use it properly. Momentus is great but it doesn't have to be that.

If you want to practice after the round, practice the things you did well to try to ingrain those things in your muscle memory. I'm not a fan of practicing something you did poorly because it can ingrain bad habits and hurt your confidence. If I go out and hit every fairway, I'll go hit some drivers on the range while I'm "hot" to build my confidence.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I always recommend getting a weighted club and learning how to use it properly. Momentus is great but it doesn't have to be that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ordered one yesterday, heard good things from many people. Thanks for the PM offer, will likely take you up on it.