Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Stratosphere Poker Room - Suggestions and Improvements

it is still in the same crappy location. there s been talks about moving it. however, when the poker room and sports book bring in 1-3% of gaming revenue, it is extremely hard to justify.

i think it s safe to say that the strat is not trying to be a major player in the poker field. there s just way too many poker rooms on the strip.

we dont even really have much of a locals market if any. we are at 30-40% capacity max.

more analysis will need to be done but on observations it seems that the tournies drive the cash games. they run 9am/1pm/8pm/12am. there s usually only 1 cash table going from 1-8pm. The only times you'll see people in the room is during a tourney. After 2 hours of the completion of the tourney, it is back to 1 table of 1/2NL.

the tourney attracts the tourists who dont wanna shell out over $100. they re all inexperienced. right now i m trying to find ways to bring the occupancy %'s up.

my first inclination is looking at tournies, then finding various games to spread. moving the poker room out of its current location will have a major impact on the bottom line. we ve lost 40-50% profits from July 06 when the poker room moved.

but w/o the idea of moving, i am looking for ways to work with what they have at the current moment.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:47 PM

You might be interested in this thread. We actually had a Venetian floor come here once asking the same questions, but I couldn't find that thread. Also, could someone dig up Mason's essay on how to run a poker room?
Old 05-10-2007, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as the tourney, here are my thoughts:

The 17% rake hurts. The structure could use a 75/150 level. Also the leap from 500/1000 to 1000/2000 is BRUTAL.

[/ QUOTE ]

that 17% rake is typucal of low limit tournies in town.

One day I was dealing in one of these low buy-in tournies where the rake happened to be 17%. One of the tourist in the game was explaining to another player how much poker back in Florida sucked and he refused to play while back home because the rake in the tournaments was 17%.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:03 PM

can you provide any specific incentives for tournament players to stay for the cash games? slightly reduced buyin if you log some time before the tourney? modest food comp for a snack if you stay to play after busting out or cashing?
Old 05-10-2007, 11:25 PM

Wait, wait, wait a minute... are you saying the Stratosphere has a poker room?
Old 05-10-2007, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You might be interested in this thread. We actually had a Venetian floor come here once asking the same questions, but I couldn't find that thread. Also, could someone dig up Mason's essay on how to run a poker room?

[/ QUOTE ]

Best thing to do is buy his books, or contact him directly for a consultation. Poker Essays 1, 2, & 3.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:32 PM

17%

[censored] that.

i'd never play it.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:54 PM

I had a floor guy be such a dick to me on my only time at the Stratosphere that the dealer (Desensio, or something) actually complained to management for me. They offered a comped meal, but I was furious and told them I would never come back.

So my suggestion: have that floor guy exterminated, fix how the players are treated and worry about tourney structure later.

Just my two cents, but I hold a grudge [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-11-2007, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Best thing to do is buy his books, or contact him directly for a consultation. Poker Essays 1, 2, & 3.

[/ QUOTE ]
It might be the best, but it wouldn't be the easiest. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

How to run a poker room by Mason Malmuth.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:27 AM

I find it offensive that you would come here asking for advice. I worked at the Stratosphere until they closed the poker room on March 1, 2001. They cheated me out of earned vacation time and refused to return my calls. When they reopened the room they chose to go with a known thief as the manager and now they want advice. If they really want advice on how to improve their poker room I can work out a consulting fee with them.

Randy Refeld
Closed Thread