Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 10:06 AM

Default 10NL: AKs gets challenged preflop HU. What\'s your move?

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 9 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $3.50
BB: $12.05
UTG: $11.15
UTG+1: $1.90
Hero (MP1): $10.00
MP2: $3.55
MP3: $1.25
CO: $4.00
BTN: $6.75

Reads: <font color="blue">Villain 62/13/1.2 after 29 hands and has a habit of popping up multiple limpers from LP and the BB. Earlier I had to lay down pp 2's when I attempted to come in for 2xBB to build a pot if I hit my set, vary my raises and practice some pot control from studying NLTAP. Villain had reraised my 4xBB not long afer the pp 2's and on the very next hand I get AKs, raise 4xBB and villain goes AI.

I'm thinking what's my table image like now with him? Does he have an AI hand since he has't previously made this type of move? Is it another AK, and would he play AA/TT this way knowing I mucked to his earlier reraises?

Do you call or fold the AKs with these reads?</font>

CO posts $0.10
Preflop: Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (9 Players)
2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.40</font>, 3 folds, <font color="red">BTN raises all-in to $6.75</font>, Hero...???

EN
Old 09-20-2007, 10:13 AM

Default Re: 10NL: AKs gets challenged preflop HU. What\'s your move?

I would tend to think that his range is wide until he has proven he will think on multiple levels.
I think a range of like 66+/AT+/KJ+ would be reasonable. That is pretty wide, but he could be doing this with SC's and lower PP's too so it gives you an idea.

So, it is just a matter of putting this range in poker stove and seeing how you do against it. You need a number higher than about 47%. I would tend to make the call here, but it probably is pretty close either way.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:18 AM

Iīm not sure wether or not I got it right, but you made TWO laydowns, right?

See, thereīs two questions to answer:
a. is calling +EV? (if so, it wonīt be much.)
b. do you want to pay the price (very high variance) for that potential small EV gain?

If answer to question b. is "no", then donīt worry about question a.

Just in case you give up some +EV by folding, itīs not enough to get upset about. That means, folding is not a bad thing regardless of how you answer question a.

I call, though, given the reads.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:22 AM

I don't think the average NL10 player thinks much of your table image. You've invested only 4bb in here and you can find a spot with more equity to put your money in.
My guess is his range here is 88+, AQ+ and I'd want more dead money in to make this call.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would tend to think that his range is wide until he has proven he will think on multiple levels.
I think a range of like 66+/AT+/KJ+ would be reasonable. That is pretty wide, but he could be doing this with SC's and lower PP's too so it gives you an idea.

So, it is just a matter of putting this range in poker stove and seeing how you do against it. You need a number higher than about 47%. I would tend to make the call here, but it probably is pretty close either way.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

you should probably spend some time with pokerstove

[ QUOTE ]
You've invested only 4bb in here and you can find a spot with more equity to put your money in.
My guess is his range here is 88+, AQ+ and I'd want more dead money in to make this call.

[/ QUOTE ]

burning money folding, plus you see more random Ax hands than AQ, and you crush them

[ QUOTE ]
See, thereīs two questions to answer:
a. is calling +EV? (if so, it wonīt be much.)
b. do you want to pay the price (very high variance) for that potential small EV gain?

[/ QUOTE ]

question 1 is what is his range
question 2 is what is my equity vs that range
question 3 is, is my equity higher than breakeven

[ QUOTE ]
Just in case you give up some +EV by folding, itīs not enough to get upset about.

[/ QUOTE ]

you could easily have $1.35 in equity edge which is about 7ptbb which is a lot to just give up
Old 09-20-2007, 10:59 AM

With only 29 hands its impossible to use stats to define villains range here. How long have u been at table with him? U said that he is raising limpers from LP but is he 3 betting a lot pf? you said that u raised 22 but didnt explain whayt happened after that? Did villain 3bet and force you to fold? Im assuming that is what happened. From what you explain he seems to be doing a considerable amount of 3 betting pf so I am calling here. I think his range is wide enough for a call. I also dont mind the variance so maybe others would disagree.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh bottomset, you are always such a sweetheart.

We all could use some more time with pokerstove, so sure.

Since you put so much time and effort into that post, like you always do, why don't you try to add something useful by showing me the exact percentages and, therefore, show how off I am? That would exponentially mean more to me than your previous post.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you put so much time and effort into that post, like you always do, why don't you try to add something useful by showing me the exact percentages and, therefore, show how off I am? That would exponentially mean more to me than your previous post.

[/ QUOTE ]

well I figured it would be intuitive that vs a range mostly composed of hands you dominate/flip with, you'd have a clear call, you are in bad shape vs 3combos AA(12%), 3combos KK(34%) and 47% vs QQ-66(42combos), 74% vs AQ-AT,KQ-KJ(60combos), 51.6% vs AK(12combos)

guess not

you have 60% equity vs that range, which is a clear call
Old 09-20-2007, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well I figured it would be intuitive that vs a range mostly composed of hands you dominate/flip with, you'd have a clear call, you are in bad shape vs 3combos AA(12%), 3combos KK(34%) and 47% vs QQ-66(42combos), 74% vs AQ-AT,KQ-KJ(60combos), 51.6% vs AK(12combos)

guess not

you have 60% equity vs that range, which is a clear call

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough.

I didn't even get that far in thinking about it after I read your post as it put me on the defense.

[i]Edit: FWIW, I was thinking our equity was around 50%-55%. That is all I meant by close.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the average NL10 player thinks much of your table image.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to disagree.
Those who are only playing one table at a time are really looking for someone they can push off of their hands. I guess it makes them feel like TV tournament pros, running cool bluffs and stuff.

Playing tight does not have a big meta-game aspect. Folding to pressure has.