Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is your favorite team your hometown team?
Yes 146 67.91%
No 69 32.09%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2007, 08:26 PM

Default Re: Fight for Online Gaming!! -- Plan for week of 7/23

[ QUOTE ]

WOW Engineer, that is a very informative post!

May I use some of that on my Obama blog, WVPokerMan?

obg

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly. Hopefully we'll have a statement from him soon.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:22 AM

thanks, posted. you may view @

http://my.barackobama.com/page/commu...log/wvpokerman
Old 07-26-2007, 05:26 PM

How cross-posted(on other forums) do you think this thread IS or SHOULD be? We're expanding who we write/call/pester, but are we expanding the base of who is? Perhaps we could take some time each week to maybe hit up another forum or two with what we are doing, stop by a PLAY MONEY table and link it, or drop by the skill games sites?
Old 07-26-2007, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How cross-posted(on other forums) do you think this thread IS or SHOULD be? We're expanding who we write/call/pester, but are we expanding the base of who is? Perhaps we could take some time each week to maybe hit up another forum or two with what we are doing, stop by a PLAY MONEY table and link it, or drop by the skill games sites?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's x-posted to most playing forums, with the blessing of the mods. I tried yesterday to x-post to Health and Fitness and got the following from the mod, who subsequently locked it:

[ QUOTE ]

kyleb
Reged: 09/24/04

Please don't spam our forum, or any others, for that matter.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-26-2007, 07:05 PM

It's also x-posted to bj21.com, the PPA board at http://webringamerica.com/4/pokerpla...wforum.php?f=2 , and www.thebeargrowls.com .
Old 07-27-2007, 09:33 AM

I got a form email yesterday (I assume I'm not the only one) over the name of Greg Raymer, urging me to call my Congresswoman and ask her to cosponsor H.R. 2046. In terms of a call for action, by the way, this email was very well done, including both her name and phone number since many people won't take the trouble to look up who their Congressman is.

I called the office of my Rep (Carolyn Maloney, NY-14) and asked her to cosponsor the bill. The intern said that she didn't believe the Congresswoman had stated a position on the bill yet but that she had been getting "a lot of calls" on that particular bill, so let's hear it for the good guys!

A big chunk of the New York delegation has already cosponsored the bill (even Republicans!) so I imagine that with a few more calls from constituents, she's likely to join in as well.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:53 AM

Back on june 08, Street signs, CNBC did a story on online gaming and Franks Bill, a good story and the video is here:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/19115704/from/ET/

It is time to follow-up with them on this as the WTO 'pending' case was only mentioned in passing, now it has grown important.

Lets send them SEVERAL letters asking for a follow-up story.

E-Mail - streetsigns@cnbc.com

My letter:
I just had the pleasure of watching a copy of the Internet Gaming report done by Erin Burnett on June 08, 2007.

In that interview it was mentioned that the gambling ban was possibly going to be an issue at the WTO.

Well, it has in a very big way.

Antigua-Barbuda has filed claim against the United States (we lost the case for the 3rd time) for 3.4 billion dollars in trade sanctions seeking to be allowed to legally pirate software as repayment for lost revenue and jobs.

Additionally the entire European Community is seeking compensation along with Canada, Japan, China, Costa Rica and a few other countries potentially costing billions in U S trade and untold costs and burdens on American companies.

Quoting USTR “we find the Antigua claim excessive and unnecessary to have been filed since we are negotiating with ALL WTO members to settle claims”.

This potential multi-billion dollar concession agreement deserves a follow-up looking at the affect it WILL have on American companies and consumers alike.

Thank You In Advance,

XXXXX XXXXX
Old 07-27-2007, 07:00 PM

Ron Paul has replied to everything I've sent him (and no crappy form letters either):

Dear xxxxxxxx:

Thank you for taking the time to contact my office with your kind and supportive words and with a copy of your letter to Rep. Spencer Bachus. It is reassuring and encouraging to hear from those, such as yourself, who understand the issues and the positive impact of a pro-freedom philosophy.

Such active citizen participation, as the founders well understood, is absolutely vital to our form of government and to the preservation of the liberty they entrusted to us.

As I serve in the 110th Congress, rest assured that I shall continue to take very seriously my oath to uphold the Constitution of limited federal powers and work to make ours the freest, and hence most prosperous and tranquil society in the history of mankind.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to communicate your thoughts. I always appreciate hearing from those to whom power is vested by our Constitution, "the People of the United States."

Sincerely,

Ron Paul
Old 07-28-2007, 12:28 PM

Default Fight for Online Gaming!! -- Plan for week of 7/30

Fight for Online Gaming!! -- Plan for week of 7/30

<font color="brown"><u>Actions:</u>
- Call Sen. Barack Obama on Monday, 7/30, and on Thursday, 8/2 to ask for his support. Post notice of this call effort wherever possible.

Ongoing advocacy:
1. Write to Treasury and DOJ officials AT LEAST ONCE PER WEEK to request the minimum possible UIGEA regulations.
2. Regularly contact Congress.
3. Contact your governor and to your state representatives.
4. Write to newspapers and post to blogs.</font>

--------------------------------------------------------

Based on our group discussions, let's all call Sen. Barack Obama on Monday, 7/30, and on Thursday, 8/2 to ask for his support. By calling on the same days, we'll make a stronger impression.

We need a senator to support some pro-Internet poker legislation. We also need a top-tier presidential candidate with us. Perhaps we can get a two-for-one in Barack Obama.

As 61% of House Congressional Black Caucus members are with us ("A" or "B", meaning they've at least consponsored the study bill), and as 49% of House Democrats are "A" or "B" rated in my rating post, it makes sense to look at the top-tier presidential candidates who are Democratic senators and members of the Congressional Black Caucus. Obviously there's only one....Sen. Barack Obama. So, I phoned his office on Thursday to ask him to support us. I was very surprised to hear that they were familiar with the legislation and that they "may" release some statement in a couple of days.

Also, Sen. Obama is reputed to be a good poker player: www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=0130165f-82d7-4c5a-85bc-64d52aaf8318&amp;k=36044&amp;p=1

This is something everyone should wish to do. Even if you don't support Sen. Obaba's candidacy, you should call, as all we're doing is asking him to support our position.

Contact info:

Washington D.C. Office
713 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510
(202) 224-2854
(202) 228-4260 fax
(202) 228-1404 TDD
Email our office: http://obama.senate.gov/contact/

Chicago Office
John C. Kluczynski Federal Office Building
230 South Dearborn St.
Suite 3900 (39th floor)
Chicago, Illinois 60604
(312) 886-3506
(312) 886-3514 fax
Toll free: (866) 445-2520
(for IL residents only)

Springfield Office
607 East Adams Street
Springfield, Illinois 62701
(217) 492-5089
(217) 492-5099 fax

Marion Office
701 North Court Street
Marion, Illinois 62959
(618) 997-2402
(618) 997-2850 fax

Moline Office
1911 52nd Avenue
Moline, Illinois 61265
(309)736-1217
(309)736-1233 fax

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ongoing efforts:

1. Write to Treasury and DOJ officials AT LEAST ONCE PER WEEK to request the minimum possible UIGEA regulations. We should contact Steven D. Laughton (the UIGEA Treasury Dept. focal point), Roberta McInerney (Assistant General Counsel for Banking and Finance), Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, Treasury Secretary Paulson, and Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke. The regs were supposed to be out by now...the fact they they are not is probably good for us. I think a big push here on our part could really pay off.

Let's ask them not to exceed the specific mandates of UIGEA when drafting legislation. Let's ask them to exclude all ACH transactions (too burdensome for banks to filter). Also, remind them that online poker is not illegal under any federal law. We should ask them to require unambiguous state laws, so banks aren't in the position of trying to interpret state laws that may or may not apply to Internet gaming. Finally, there should be no "site blacklists".

Contact info:

Steven D. Laughton
Office of the Assistant General Counsel (Banking and Finance)
Room 2027B,1500 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW.
Washington,DC 20220
Phone: (202) 622-8413
Email: steven.laughton@do.treas.gov

Ms. Roberta K. McInerney
Assistant General Counsel for Banking and Finance
Room 2304
Department of the Treasury
1500 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW.
Washington, DC 20220

The Honorable Alberto Gonzales
U.S. Department of Justice
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20530-0001
AskDOJ@usdoj.gov

The Honorable Henry Paulson
1500 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, D.C. 20220

The Honorable Ben S. Bernanke
Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System
Washington, D. C. 20551
http://www.federalreserve.gov/feedback.cfm

Others:

Pres. Bush: comments@whitehouse.gov
Your senators: www.senate.gov
Your representative: www.house.gov
Republican National Committee: Chairman@gop.com
Democratic National Committee: www.democrats.org/contact.html
Speaker Nancy Pelosi: AmericanVoices@mail.house.gov
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid: http://reid.senate.gov/contact/email_form.cfm

2. Continue to contact your senators and representative. <u>Let’s call and send snail mail at least once every four to six weeks</u>. Let’s email at least once per week or biweekly. Some of these may be carbon copies of letters to others (like the USTR, Frank, FoF, etc).

We have many issues, so we can focus on one item for each letter while rotating. It does not matter to our movement which items you choose; any communication against attempts to ban online gambling at the federal level work in our favor. After all, if IGREA fails due to lack of public support, it’s not like the media will report that people disagreed with giving power to the FinCEN or to issues relating to shutting out foreign operators. They’ll report, “Frank’s Attempt to End Online Gambling Ban (as if there is such a thing, but the media don’t care) Fails to Draw Public Support”. Our opponents will say, "see, Americans are happy we’re 'protecting the public'". If Wexler’s bill fails, the media won’t report that some felt it legitimized UIGEA. They’ll report that Americans didn’t even wish to legalize poker. This year, we’re all about generating support for our general position, which is that online gaming should not be prohibited. Let’s focus there. So, here are some issues we can rotate:

- Antigua’s WTO case
- IGREA
- Hypocrisy of existing legal online gaming (games of skill, horseracing, etc)
- Wexler’s bill: H.R. 2610, the Skill Game Protection Act
- Praise for the 6/8 hearing. www.house.gov/apps/list/hearing/financialsvcs_dem/ht060807.shtml; webcast archived at http://financialserv.edgeboss.net/wm...ring060807.wvx
- Shelley Berkley's study bill

3. Contact your governor and state representative. Congress won't pass anything that forces states to legalize gambling, so we ought to get the ball rolling at that level.

4. Now that we have bills progressing, we should try to work on advocating for the legislation. Let's write to newspapers, magazines, post to blogs, etc. Since we proved our position in the 6/8 House hearing, let's post the link to the hearing webcast wherever we can.

Letters to the editor, Washington Post: letters@washpost.com
Letters to the editor, New York Times: letters@nytimes.com

Thanks everyone!
Old 07-28-2007, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Fight for Online Gaming!! -- Plan for week of 7/30

Thanks Engineer, I posted this at 2 other sites I am at and will add to my Obama blog as well.

May add to my GOP blog too, though it will likely peeve them off.

obg