Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Small things to make the world better

Please don't talk on your cellphones when you are inside a business trying to get any type of service, it's just rude.

Alternatively, if you work at a business don't talk on your cellphone while trying to help customers. Some stupid ho at the gas station down the street does this every time I come in there. It tilts me so hard.

My big one is it only takes a few seconds to open the door from someone else, and they almost universally will acknowledge that they appreciate it.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:59 PM

This is for those of you that own or manage a card club or bar with multiple screens displaying a sporting event:

When two screens display the same event make sure you use the same source for the signal. Last night at Hawaiian Gardens I hit the bar for the last two innings of the World Series. Main screen is in front of me and the volume is up a bit (thank you HG!). But just off to the left on the edge of my peripheral vision is another display that is FOUR SECONDS AHEAD!. I had to watch the game with a napkin blinder stuck into the left side of my glasses [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick

PS Does anyone know why signals can get this far off? Seems to me that even if one signal is a direct broadcast and one comes off the Direct TV satellite this would account for only a fraction of a second or so delay. My guess is digital TV signals that heavily buffered (at some place in the chain).
Old 10-29-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I remember exactly zero. Biggest waste of money, aggravation, stress, etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you know the world does not revolve around you right?

I mean, ask your parents if they remember something

My 4 year old is asking me like every week when are we going to Vegas again (we go several times a year). We use to travel all around the country and it's some of the best time of my life those travels with my family, but of course we always try to not annoy people, if one of the children (4 and 2) cries or something and we're on a quiet public environment, we immediately leave and of course on a plane we're always prepared with toys, PSP, laptop, movies, whatever to keep them entertained, but I agree it's annoying to see parents who don't care about everybody else.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

PS Does anyone know why signals can get this far off? Seems to me that even if one signal is a direct broadcast and one comes off the Direct TV satellite this would account for only a fraction of a second or so delay. My guess is digital TV signals that heavily buffered (at some place in the chain).

[/ QUOTE ]

Rick,

I'm pretty sure the signal that is ahead would be the digital cable one. I have digital cable and my dad has Direct TV and when we are discussing the Husker games during the game my signal is approximately 4 to 5 seconds ahead of his. He always complains that I ruin the play for him by cheering or complaining. I think it's just the delay of the signal being broadcast down to the earth from the satellite, just guessing though.

And to add to the thread, when you are staying at a hotel, don't fill up your matching 42 oz coffee mugs from the public urns - use the coffee maker in your room if you want that much.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:55 AM

If you are on an escalator where there is no line and you are not 80 years old or crippled please walk.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rick,

I'm pretty sure the signal that is ahead would be the digital cable one. I have digital cable and my dad has Direct TV and when we are discussing the Husker games during the game my signal is approximately 4 to 5 seconds ahead of his. He always complains that I ruin the play for him by cheering or complaining. I think it's just the delay of the signal being broadcast down to the earth from the satellite, just guessing though.

[/ QUOTE ]

The more I think about it somewhere (or in many places) the digital TV signal has to be buffered and sometimes the amount of buffering is significant.

Geosynchronous /stationary satellites are about 25,000 miles in space above the equator. The speed of light is about 186,000 miles per second. The round trip from North America only accounts for about a third of a second. If DirectTV is that far behind then they have to be holding onto bits somewhere.

~ Rick
Old 10-30-2007, 04:21 AM

don't get in the grocery line and 'run back for something' causing everyone to be delayed.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:07 AM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

pudge,

why?
Old 10-30-2007, 06:02 AM

to all food vendors:

please make sure to carry dr. pepper.
that is all, ty.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:13 AM

KKF made me think of a famous one, I only skimmed the thread, hope it wasn't posted, but :

- Please have some form of payment in your hand before you reach the checkout. Obviously if you're gonna pull out a card in two seconds that's fine, not so fine if you're gonna take a full minute to remove your purse then begin coppering up.