Hero (MP1): $534.90
MP2: $1,437.50
CO: $266
BTN: $912.50
SB: $401
BB: $400
UTG: $386
UTG+1: $932.40

Pre-Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (MP1)
UTG calls $4, UTG+1 folds, <font color="red">UTG+2 raises to $16</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $65</font>, 6 folds, UTG+2 calls $49

Flop: ($140) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
UTG+2 checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($140) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
UTG+2 checks, Hero checks

River: ($140) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
UTG+2 checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $115</font>, UTG+2 calls $115

I raised too much preflop, I couldn't have just called and hoped for someone to reraise, it wasn't going to happen at this table. I was running around 27/20 at the time so my preflop coldcall would have looked very suspicious to anyone observant.

Any way, once the guy calls my huge pf raise I think I can safely put him on AK or a big pocket. The flop comes and nails his range. I check the flop because I do not want to get check raised all in, as I think he would do it with jacks, and of course any hand that has me dominated.

I regret not betting the turn, but at the time I wanted to just continue to play a small pot because I thought with his pf call he didn't have AA or KK but had QQ, TT, or JJ. JJ less likely because I believe he would have bet by now.

The river comes a blank and I throw in 115.

Any thoughts on how to play this hand better?

edit: reread my post and noticed that I had included AKs in his checkraising range when I have the As, so I removed it.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:44 AM

Default Re: Line check with AA on scary flop

[ QUOTE ]
I check the flop because I do not want to get check raised all in, as I think he would do it with jacks, AKs, and of course any hand that has me dominated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why you do not want to check-raise allin by villain with jacks or AK?

I would bet this flop to 125$
Old 11-06-2007, 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Why you do not want to check-raise allin by villain with jacks or AK?

I would bet this flop to 125$

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a coinflip against his c/r range. TT+ I didn't include AKs because I have the As.

edit: but really I don't know his c/r range with the action preflop and the board.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Any way, once the guy calls my huge pf raise I think I can safely put him on AK or a big pocket. The flop comes and nails his range.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm? No? How does this flop nail that range? AK has a gutshot, you are beat by QQ only? Ahead of JJ and KK? And you have the As, so he can't really have thay many super strong combo draws.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:19 PM

edit: asked how I could improve my line
Old 11-06-2007, 03:24 PM

Bet flop and see where you're at. You should have definetely bet turn after he checked AGAIN to you.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:22 PM

While QQ/TT are possible, I believe that they'd bet the blank turn, and so would KK. I know that this such a narrow range, but the only hand that I can put the villain on here is AQs and maybe JJ, given the flat call on the river.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:34 PM

flop check is ok imo. I would have bet $99 on the turn though.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:49 PM

I would definately bet atleast $95 flop giving a bad price for draws. The only hand you would be beat with is Queens so the chances are slim that the flop hit him that hard and if he does have Queens then so be it he'll let you know right there but given he's not a complete maniac he wouldn't repop Kings on that flop so if you get floated then I'd bet value on the turn...that board is too coordinated to float a c-bet so he'd most definately re raise if he had the Queens at that point then you have a decision to make but that board is too coordinated to check down then try a value bet at the river.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:05 PM

You guys saying that you are only beat by QQ are way off. TT and 99 are well within his range here. I do think you cna make an argument for betting or for checking the flop and both are ok in balance. Saying that the board is too coordinated to float a cbet is also ridiculous. Its a much better board to float on than a 224 flop where you never have a piece of it. You need to get value out of JJ, AQ or any other hand that has a piece on the turn because some rivers will beat you, others will kill your action and the rest will change nothing. Bet the turn.