Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 09:48 AM

Default I need a Dutch Woman

One major leak in my game has presented itself to me several times over the last few sessions.

Typical situation:

10-20, 15-30, or 20-40 Live games.

Early position player raises and 2 or more people take 2 bets to the face. I look down at AX (X=non-broadway) in the BB (sometimes the SB if the table is loose, my AX is suited, there are 4+ in already, etc).
Flop comes A??r with the other two cards not being my kicker and not broadway cards.

Let's consider all players unknown.
What is a good way to play these types of hands?
How much does it change if the flop brings an Ace with broadway cards?
Should I just be letting these go?

I understand this question is extremely situation dependent, but any general comments would help. Thanks
Old 07-25-2007, 10:21 AM

Default Re: I need a Dutch Woman

Consult this thread
Old 07-25-2007, 11:00 AM

I won't play Ax suited from the small blind for a raise unless maybe the entire table is in. From the BB I'll play it if there are at least 3 others in - though I prefer 4+.

It was good to play with you this weekend. I'll likely be at FW next weekend as well. Take it easy on yourself.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:19 PM

Only calling in the BB with Axs after 3 others are in is way too tight imo. I dont know if Ive ever folded it for a raise in the bb at all.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:01 PM

This is a w/a w/b situation most the time. It's tough to give specific advice w/out a specific hand or reads so hear's the thinking behind what I do and hopefully you can apply it to some of your real life situation.

You have a marginal hand so checking to the raiser here is usually correct b/c you can gain valuable info by allowing others to bet/raise first.

If the raiser is an EP guy, he's likely got you crushed with a bigger ace or you're ahead of a hand like a big pair. If the raiser bets into the field and you can't eliminate anyone by c/r'ing, you can just call and hope to spike better. No reason to blote the pot oop w/marginal equity

If the raiser is in LP, c/r'ing might be a good move if you can eliminate some limpers b/c even though you may be behind, eliminating hands like middle pair, gutters, and other hands w/a decent number of outs will improve your equity pretty dramatically the times you are ahead of the LP raiser.

If the pfr bets and you're last to act and HU or even 3 handed, I prefer to cc the flop and turn. Again, if he's bluffing keep him bluffing, if he's not, don't give him the chance to 3 bet you and give excess action when crushed.

These are just my general guidelines for this type of hand but there are many variable that can change a c/r to a c/f to a c/c. If you post specific hands you'll get some more concrete advice
Old 07-25-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Only calling in the BB with Axs after 3 others are in is way too tight imo. I dont know if Ive ever folded it for a raise in the bb at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad. I was thinking late position... You are right. If blood is flowing to my brain, I play it all the time from the BB...
Old 07-25-2007, 06:11 PM

I appreciate the responses. I will look out for a situation to post from one of my next sessions as I know this question can vary greatly depending on the situation.

I should get up to FW at least one day this weekend as well, so hopefully I will see you there.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:23 PM

A non-suited low ace has no value against a raiser. Don't play it.

As for a flop with an ace and low cards, are they lower than your kicker? Each card on the board that's lower than your kicker is one more kicker you don't beat.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

As for a flop with an ace and low cards, are they lower than your kicker? Each card on the board that's lower than your kicker is one more kicker you don't beat.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ahhhhh, do what? (Scratches head and re-reads post)
Old 07-26-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ahhhhh, do what? (Scratches head and re-reads post)

[/ QUOTE ]

[edit]

Don't play it.

[/edit]

[re-edit]

Fold.

[/re-edit]