Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2007, 12:57 AM

Default Re: Professors calling you dumb

I'm semi-ok with this in Professional School. After all, I'll be pissed if my lawyer, or worse, my doctor doesn't know what's what.

That said:

1) Some profs suck. I've had profs who've made other profs (and students LDO) cry.
2) Some have complexes ("I have a PhD. I am so awesome and brilliant...unlike all of you").
3) Sometimes people aren't cut out for university, and I don't believe it's doing them a disservice to point this out.
4) Thank you for clarifying that science professors (and I'll lump _some_ math/comp sci professors in with this -- as that's somewhat where I'm headed) have important jobs.
5) I think some research is crap, but most fields have something meaningful at least tangent to it. Even if "meaningful" means "nice to record and pass along to future generations" and not necessarily "advances the human race" or "that requires brain function."
6) Some profs just can't communicate, and this causes many to (among other things) seem abrasive when they don't mean to be.

Lastly, it's harder than you may think to not play favorites. That's human nature. You want the annoying kid to mess up, and you want the girl next door to come through (meaning do well on the exam, obviously). Fair? No. Changeable? No. But, now that you are so well aware of what you're prof's style is (LAG?), you can adjust your style accordingly.

GL.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:33 PM

dude, I was hoping to see a lot more student bashing reports. sucks at the time, but fun to read.

mine: math prof is returning tests. "100 for NOZO. Just shows the rest of you that you don't have to be smart to do well."

sweet.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:42 PM

Nozo,

I got a 50% on a greek final once. It curved to a C but the professor put "well, half isn't bad" at the end. For the record stuff like this doesn't bother me though, I think it's pretty funny.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:31 PM

ive never had that issue with a prof, maybe im smart? maybe? ok, probably not but still never happened.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:24 AM

At the beginning of this semester I had a prof assign some homework to be done in a certain computer program. Well I couldn't get it to come out so I went to his office for help. He was busy and told me he'd look over it later and I could just turn it in how it was for full credit anyway.

The next day in class he walks in looks at me and starts giggling and shaking his head..."So easy! What's wrong with you, how do you mess that up?". Someone else expressed they had problems as well so he decided to show the class how to do it. Pulls it up on the computer...and ERROR! He gets the same error and gives up after not being able to figure it out after like 10 minutes.

Turns out the file (which we were given) was referencing another file that didn't exist. It was pretty funny to see him berate me for something stupid and do the same thing in front of everyone.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:24 PM

www.ratemyprofessor.com

look for good professors.

take their classes.

hope they don't call you dumb.

problem solved.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
www.ratemyprofessor.com

look for good professors.

take their classes.

hope they don't call you dumb.

problem solved.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish this site had been around when I was in college.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:07 PM

Go to the prof's office hours, and have a conversation with him. Act like a mature adult and if he acts liek a d-bag, then you go to his department head, if they won't do anything, you continue on up the chain. If it's that big of a deal to you.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
mine: math prof is returning tests. "100 for NOZO. Just shows the rest of you that you don't have to be smart to do well." sweet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate that [censored], good or bad grade it's no ones [censored] business what I get on an exam unless I feel like sharing it with them.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:22 PM

Does anyone else here believe that some work can be subjectively marked to the point of the marks being innacurate?

All the way through my school life teachers have always given me low marks (c's), due to whatever reasons, but everytime an independent exam came id get top marks.
Its possible i tried harder on the ones that mattered but i dont think thats true.

Now when it comes to university, im still getting 'averagey'
sort of marks that i know im better than, but i dont know what i can do to get better.

Basically my question is can u get screwed by subjective marking?