Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 01:10 AM

Default Tips on Hosting Home Games (Looooong!)

Some Tips on Hosting Games

Get plenty of players. Invite all your friends and family members to come. If you need more, make your game micro-stakes and use Meetup.com, Craigslist.org, or Homepokergames.com to recruit more players. You must have at least 6 players there on time for it to be a good game, 10 is much better. In order to assure 6-10 players, I suggest getting at least 12 people to fully commit “yes” for your first few games. As your game gains a good reputation, you won’t have to overbook as much.

Recruit for your game at least 3 days before game day, but not more than one week before game day. Don't recruit too early or people might forget they have RSVP'd, or you might get discouraged since most people don't commit for games far in advance. Recruiting for a game too late is no good either, since most players have their games lined up at least 3 days in advance.

Always be firm from the beginning on what the game setup is going to be. Choose cash game or tourney, mixed or single game, what the stakes are, payout structure, blind levels, etc. and stick to it. Don't allow your guests to vote on these decisions or the game will never get started. Also, people will be less likely to come if they are afraid the $20 NLHE tourney they expected might end up $10/$20 Badugi by game time.

Don't allow your recruits to say Maybe. You will have no idea how many people will come. Just a simple yes or no is all you need.

Don't allow persons under 21 to play. They are much more likely to cause trouble than older players.

Don’t put too much faith in people that say they are bringing guests. My experience is that players that RSVP with a guest are almost always no-shows… Presto, your game is now two people short!

Use three colors of chips max. Any more than this, and there are a lot of questions and errors about what the denominations of the chips are. Use denominated chips if you can. Standard colors for chips are: $0.25: Green or Grey, $0.50: Pink, $1: White or Blue, $5: Red, $25 Green, $100 Black.

Have a clear and consistent policy on credit. People will ask eventually.

If you get a no-show, call or e-mail the no-show and let them know it was a disappointment that they did not show. If they do it to you again, never let them play again. I hate to be a hardass, but poker games are tricky. One or two people too many and the table is too crowded, two or three people too few, and the game is too slow. In general, we do not have problems with no-shows, and a lot of that is due to our low tolerance of no-shows. If you tolerate no-shows, you will get no-shows. If you have a tough policy on no-shows you will find yourself with games full every week with serious players happy to have a reliable game. If you tolerate no-shows, you will find yourself with shorthanded games that start late and the entire thing dies out after a couple weeks.

As the host you will eventually have to make a difficult rules decisions regarding yourself or your good friends for substantial sums of money. Be ready for this. I personally spend a lot of time on rules issues, so I have confidence in my decisions. When I was newer, I allowed the table to decide. Allowing all players to vote or flipping a coin will also work. Appointing an experienced person to settle disputes is also a good option. Be careful of people who claim to know the 'official rules', there is a lot of variation even in Vegas cardrooms, and no rules manual can cover every situation. Whatever your choice, it should be clear to everyone ahead of time and consistently applied.

Some of the most contentious rules problems involve oversized chip, forced showing of cards, accidental board cards dealt, and accidental muckings. If you know how to handle these situations, you have the worst situations covered.

Don't play for money with paper cards unless you are ready to buy two new decks for each game.

Have plenty of small bills available to make change at the end of the night.

Keep a bunch of high-denomination chips in your pocket and use them to do rebuys right at the table. It is fast, and you don't have the table piled up with low-denomination chips at the end of the night.

Don't make a big fuss about food or drink. I have killed a couple of poker games in my life by serving too much food and drink. My serious poker game turned into a serious party, which is not terrible, but not what I was after. Pretzels and soft drinks are plenty.

For a cash game, have a fixed stop time for the game. Without a set stop time, the losers will beg to keep on playing indefinitely. The winners will want to quit, the losers will call them wimps, and it is kind of a messy scene. I actually set an alarm, but I realize that is extreme.

Be deadly serious about each buy-in and cash-out. Count and double-count each one. Nothing sucks more than thinking you had a bad night at the table, only to find out you made an error in the bank. Careful banking is tough to do when you are trying to host and play at the same time. Don't let other players get their own chips or cash themselves out. If any mistake happens in the bank that night, you will immediately suspect your buddy, even if the mistake was yours! The banker typically makes about 25 transactions each night, and each transaction has potential for error. I personally double-count each cashed-in chip at the end of the night, writing down the amount after the first count, and making sure this number matches my second count. This is slower than most games I have seen, but my bank is always square these days.

When getting your game started, go with a low-stakes cash game like $0.25/$0.50, $40.00 max buy-in NLHE. Most players know this game and are comfortable with it, so you are more likely to get players. After you have 3 or 4 of these you will then have the players necessary to spread that $500 buy-in heads-up Chinese Poker tourney you have always wanted to have.

Try to stick to a regular schedule. Many of us whipped married guys need to warn the SOs that we will be gone certain days to play poker. It is best if we can give this warning far in advance, such as telling the SO we play every Thursday at OEric's, every Friday at Aaron's, every Sunday at TK's, and the first Tuesday of every month at John C's. See how reasonable that must sound?

Remember that most of your players are there to have fun. Your games should be fun to attend. There is nothing wrong with wanting a serious poker game, but keep it light. Bonus hands, bounties, pot sweeteners, trash talk, and silly trophies help a lot. Also remember that as the host you can bend the rules 'in the spirit of fairness' when weird situations come up, just remember to be consistent, don’t bend a rule for your buddy, then penalize a stranger.

Hosting a regular, spirited home game has been one of the great pleasures of my life. I hope these tips will help you join the fun!
Old 10-18-2007, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Tips on Hosting Home Games (Looooong!)

I don't have time to respond with a few quibbles, but generally my skim indicated that this is a good post.

I'll have to search this weekend and find the thread we had a while ago, suggesting rules and other needs for running a home game.

Good post on first read, TCB
Old 10-18-2007, 02:58 PM

Yeah, good post, tho' some things are different here:
[ QUOTE ]
Without a set stop time, the losers will beg to keep on playing indefinitely. The winners will want to quit, the losers will call them wimps, and it is kind of a messy scene.[ QUOTE ]

I wish the losing players for the week would want to keep playing forever. It usually ends up that four or five of us go 'til the wee hours, and we're rarely stuck by that time, having sent everybody else packing.

Agree that you have to be a hardass about attendance. I have a weekly cash game and a monthly tournament. The cash game is strong enough now that I just send out a reminder every week (some weeks no game) and the rotating cast is enough to sustain a game. For tournaments I use evite, and I find two weeks notice is short enough so that people don't RSVP and then forget, but long enough for substantial warning. It's also almost always the same Thursday every month, so that helps.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For tournaments I use evite, and I find two weeks notice is short enough so that people don't RSVP and then forget, but long enough for substantial warning. It's also almost always the same Thursday every month, so that helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

I email, but I send a final email to the planned attendees, which usually picks up the last-minute changes.

Much to my bitter chagrin, it doesn't get all of them [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2007, 04:23 PM

I say good post, great post. I wouldn't suggest allowing a table vote on rules though. You should have concrete solid rules you remain consistent with. Download Roberts Rules; you can get 'em off a great resource for home hosters, homepokertourney.com. I downloaded a few copies and leave 'em around the playing area along with a few card player mags I get at the local B&M. Having consistent rules will help solve many conflicts cause it has been dealt with before. In my poker circuit of friends about 8 of us are regular hosters and I think I usually get the biggest draws because I have a consistent game.

Good Post TRVCHBOY
Old 10-18-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't allow your recruits to say Maybe. You will have no idea how many people will come. Just a simple yes or no is all you need.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post.

I use www.homepokertour.com to schedule my home games and find players...surprised? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

When I built the site I specifically designed it with no "Maybe" option for RSVP's. Only 1 or 2 people have asked for a "maybe" option to be added, but I haven't done it. Anyways it's nice to know someone else was thinking the same as me.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:21 PM

a few more to add.

A few years ago when I started a Monday night game I had 3 others that were in and we set it up with the blinds together then we searched out for other players. Starting with a core group that agree on the game I found helpful.

I start the game at 7:30, no delays. If someone calls ahead we will blind them off untill they come. Everyone shows up on time now.

I make sure I publicly thank anyone who brings a deck of cards or some snacks
Old 10-19-2007, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't suggest allowing a table vote on rules though. You should have concrete solid rules you remain consistent with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I will strike that from my next version. Better to know the rules well or appoint an experienced player to act as the umpire.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:40 PM

My only quibble is the firm stopping time, if you don't have some external reason. Never make players that want to keep playing stop playing. As host, I think you gently but firmly remind the table anyone is free to stop at any time, so there's no player abuse when somebody leaves.

--Zetack
Old 10-19-2007, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post.

I use www.homepokertour.com to schedule my home games and find players...surprised? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

When I built the site I specifically designed it with no "Maybe" option for RSVP's. Only 1 or 2 people have asked for a "maybe" option to be added, but I haven't done it. Anyways it's nice to know someone else was thinking the same as me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me vouch for the importance of this idea - a firm "yes" or "no" is the way to go. I've been organizing a semi-regular game, and have been making the mistake of soliciting too far in advance, and letting folks "get back to me". It really makes it a hassle.