Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2006, 12:23 AM

Default Re: Black Mountain Brewery: \"Cave Creek Chili Beer\"

I'm pumped that you liked the Weihenstephaner so much, and managed to find a new style you could relax with (I consider American hefes a completely different style than Germans). If you can get your hands on Schneider Weisse, that's actually my favorite. I subsisted on it in Germany, but haven't seen it available in the States, and haven't had it in a few years. Weihenstephaner is the best I've found in the States, though.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:08 AM

I'll look for the Schneider next time I'm at BotW. It's probably one of the American beer shops most likely to have it.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:37 AM

I totally agree on the Schneider Weisse. Had some when I was in Switzerland last summer, and it reopened my eyes to how great hefeweizens can be.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:22 PM

I have just returned from a trip down to Raleigh, and I've come back with a brief beer review. I was out at a wine bar where I mostly drank what turned out to be mediocre wine for too much money. However, I saw that this place had the Allagash Belgian White on tap. While I felt a little guilty getting beer at a wine bar, I knew as documented in this thread, that they put out good beer. I had to try it. I don't actually know how much I paid for it, since I had a tab open, and my final recipt wasn't itemized.

Taking a sip of this, I pretty quickly saw that this was the best Belgian white I've had to date. It's just a hair sweeter than most, but not overly so -- not as much as some Belgian golden ales or tripels. It has fantastic flavors of wheat, orange, coriander, a little clove, a little banana, and it had a great, refreshing finished. Some guy I was with who also ordered it said he liked Hoegaarden better, but I think he's crazy and doesn't have great taste. I award this beer [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and a half [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Old 08-15-2006, 01:13 AM

Have you had Mannequin Pis? I think that in Belgium it's called Lefebvre's or something like that. It is flat-out the best beer I have ever had. Absolutely exquisite. I enjoy Hoegaarden a great deal, especially during the summer, but Mannequin Pis blows it away.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:46 AM

Default Re: Alesmith Yulesmith

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just finished the first 12oz of this beer. I'm going to drink the rest of it right now. It's so good, that sucks they don't carry it. It's a San Diego brewery - I'm probably going to make a weekend trip out of it sometime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alesmith is one of the breweries that'll be at Stone's 10th Anniversary Celebration on September 9th. I'll be there for session "A", I'd recommend it over the afternoon one as some beers do run out.

[/ QUOTE ]
FWIW I'm also going to this with my 2 roommates. We will most likely have a hotel in the area on fri/sat nights. I will be going to the first session as well just because you said some beers can run out and i want my choice!
Old 08-15-2006, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you had Mannequin Pis? I think that in Belgium it's called Lefebvre's or something like that. It is flat-out the best beer I have ever had. Absolutely exquisite. I enjoy Hoegaarden a great deal, especially during the summer, but Mannequin Pis blows it away.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I have not. It's from Belgium? I'll have to see if I can find it.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:58 PM

RDH,

I recently tried a pint of Saratoga Lager when I was out at a bar in Albany, mostly because I just wanted something simple and cheap, you know, Sam Adams or Yuengling lagers. However, it turned out to be a fairly dark brown color, and was much more complex in flavor. Upon further inspection, it turns out it's a Maerzen-style beer, a variety I've heard of, but up until then, hadn't tried before. You have any recommendations in this style, having spent some time in Germany? I think this is one I'd like to look into more.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:45 PM

Off the top of my head, Maerzens are bock-style beers. I know Paulaner makes a Maerzen that you can get here in the States. Also, if you see a beer labeled Maibock, its probably the same style.

No real recs, though.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:33 PM

Marzens are very similar in style to Oktoberfests.

http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category3.html

Bocks are a different style.

http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category5.html