Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 10:04 PM

Default Too Aggressive should I slow down for value?

Did I play this right? Went with the instincts...

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
8 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (8 players) mewalrus is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO folds, <font color="#cc0000">mewalrus raises to $0.75</font>, 2 folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($2.85, 3 players)
UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets $3</font>, <font color="#cc0000">mewalrus raises to $6</font>, 2 folds.
Uncalled bets: $3 returned to mewalrus.

Results:
Final pot: $8.85
Old 03-07-2007, 10:14 PM

Default Re: Too Aggressive should I slow down for value?

I hate the min-raise.. Just smooth call and see what happens. He probably isn't on a draw. The min-raise just announces you have 3 jacks

Also, raise it to 1.25 or so. 0.75 just inflates the pot with a marginal hand like AJo and encourages others to come in behind you and play a big pot w/ you.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:15 PM

I have more of a problem with your pre-flop raise size... 3X the bb with 3 limpers not going to accomplish anything. I like an overlimp better than a 3XBB raise, but a 5X BB raise better than overlimp.

nothing wrong with the way you played the flop IMO.

J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] I may wait until the turn. but not with the flush draw out
Old 03-07-2007, 10:18 PM

If no one else had bet, then a bet is good. But given that someone else is willing to have a shot at it, you will get more value if you let them keep the lead. If your lucky they will 3-barrel.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:24 PM

with 3 limpers in front raise to AT LEAST 1.25

i also like just calling the flop and raising on the turn-if turn is another club then reevaluate, otherwise raise on turn
Old 03-07-2007, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
with 3 limpers in front raise to AT LEAST 1.75

i also like raising the flop

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-08-2007, 12:08 AM

he is either bluffing or has a J. People often bluff at paired boards but shut up on the turn.
Also -if he the other J- you don't want to slow down the action with a 3rd club.
Don't minraise. Make it at least 7 or 9, I'd like to raise to 9.
Raise and hope he has AA/KK or the other J.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:24 AM

The overbet looks kind of like a PP that doesn't like the paired board, which probably wouldn't put any more money in anyway.

The thing with paired boards like this is that when someone calls a bet, anyone but brand new players and aggro-donks starts seeing a slowplay and does one of the following.

1) Best case scenario they go into check-call mode. This is only being done by someone who almost always calls to draws, someone with a PP (and normally not by 55 or worse in this hand), or a six. They aren't going to put any more money into the put unless you do it first. If they are on a draw, the only money you will get is on the turn. If they aren't on a draw, they are just as likely to fold the river as call it, and most of them will check behind if you go for a check-raise

2) More likely, they go into check-fold mode. In this case, you've made all of the money you're going to make on this hand, so raising didn't hurt you.

In addition to these cases, there is always the chance of someone betting a draw here, and you really don't want someone with a PP to suck one out on a later street without paying for it, so I don't like just calling here.

When you flop trips with top kicker like this, you're best bet is to play them fast and hope that either one of your opponents has a jack or puts you on a bluff.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Did I play this right? Went with the instincts...

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
8 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (8 players) mewalrus is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO folds, <font color="#cc0000">mewalrus raises to $0.75</font>, 2 folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($2.85, 3 players)
UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets $3</font>, <font color="#cc0000">mewalrus raises to $6</font>, 2 folds.
Uncalled bets: $3 returned to mewalrus.

Results:
Final pot: $8.85

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not to aggressive, to passive, your preflop raise was to small and I dont really see the point in the min raise, if you want to convince someone there pocket pair is good call and slowplay the hand, if you think your opponent is likely to have a J or a overpair and will pay you off then raise more and start building a pot.

Playing it the way you do gets the worst of both worlds, you dont really get much extra from hands that miss and you dont win the most from another J
Old 03-08-2007, 09:06 AM

As other have said before me;
Raise more preflop, you don't want a multiway pot with a hand like AJo.
Raise MORE on the flop, raise to 9$ is about right...