Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 03:07 PM

Default i have a omaha hilo question

MY QUESTION IS IM TRYING TO UNDERSTAND THIS HAND. ITS NOT A BEAT, BRAG, OR VARIANCE POST. HELLO????? some one with brains

what are u doing here? floating? i cant imagine that. AA diamonds? higher lever thinking?

PokerStars Game #11630403050: Omaha Hi/Lo Pot Limit ($2/$4) - 2007/08/22 - 14:13:05 (ET)
Table 'Juewa' 9-max Seat #7 is the button
Seat 1: FEARisPOWER ($319.60 in chips)
Seat 2: xxxxx ($188 in chips)
Seat 3: xxxxx ($332 in chips)
Seat 7: plo8 ($400 in chips)
Seat 8: xxxxx ($410.60 in chips)
Seat 9: xxxxx ($535.20 in chips)
xxxxx: posts small blind $2
xxxxx: posts big blind $4
xxxxx: posts big blind $4
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to FEARisPOWER [Qs Js 8c Qh]
FEARisPOWER: calls $4
xxxx: calls $4
xxxx: checks
plo8: raises $22 to $26
xxxx: folds
xxxx: calls $22
FEARisPOWER: calls $22
*** FLOP *** [Td 9c Kd]

xxx: bets $8
FEARisPOWER: raises $145 to $153
xxx: folds
plo8: calls $153
*** TURN *** [Td 9c Kd] [9s]
FEARisPOWER: bets $140.60 and is all-in
plo8: folds
FEARisPOWER collected $443 from pot
FEARisPOWER: doesn't show hand
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $446 | Rake $3
Board [Td 9c Kd 9s]
Seat 1: FEARisPOWER collected ($443)
Old 08-22-2007, 03:17 PM

Default Re: i have a omaha hilo question

I want to give advice and speculate on his hand, but I'm still confused as to why you played Q-Q-J-8 for such a large raise. What can you possibly beat unless you hit a miracle flop like you did?
Old 08-22-2007, 03:23 PM

well are table was pretty active but plo8 was playing tight so i knew there would be a nice pot with all the loose calls. i was looking to stack someone when it comes q27 or something along those lines. do u think if i check turn he puts me all in? i just have no clue what he could be calling the flop with
Old 08-22-2007, 03:39 PM

The only scary thing about checking the turn is that if he pulls something out of his ass like A-A-K-K, you're drawing dead. You're probably right in thinking he had something along the lines of A-A-x-x diamonds (A-A-2-x w/diamonds most likely). When he saw the scare card on the turn, he had to have put you on a full house - you were certainly representing a much stronger hand than just a straight.

I still don't know what he'd be doing with anything except A-A-2-x with a few diamonds on that flop. I don't know what his $8 bet was trying to gauge at all either. This whole hand confused the hell out of me.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:28 PM

yeah the hand was pretty strange. on the turn i figured that if i would shove he might put me on the boat so he would fold a nut flush draw. i dont think he can call me once that turn hits. but i still dont understand the call on the flop. the only thing i can think is maybe a missclick. maybe he thought it was 4$ but i raised instantly and the two others fold instantly so maybe he just missclicked accidently.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MY QUESTION IS IM TRYING TO UNDERSTAND THIS HAND. ITS NOT A BEAT, BRAG, OR VARIANCE POST. HELLO????? some one with brains

[/ QUOTE ]That would be Niss and DaveBReal, I guess. They already responded to the identical post that I already moved to the other forum. And it would also be Reko who has already responded to your re-post here.

You might have gotten a response from Reko in the other forum (just as Dave responded after I moved the post). I didn't kill your post. I just moved it to a place that seemed more appropriate.

At any rate, Hello. I'm Buzz, the temporary moderator of this forum.

I read Niss's post first and then tried to understand yours. All I could see is that you played a hand I would not have played in a way I would not have played it but won anyhow. Meanwhile your questions did not make sense to me.[ QUOTE ]
what are u doing here? floating? i cant imagine that. AA diamonds? higher lever thinking?

[/ QUOTE ]Who is "u"?

What is "floating"?

At any rate, please try to be more polite in your responses to my attempts at moderation.

And please try to be more articulate in your posts.

For example, if you wonder what "PLO8" might be thinking in order to play the hand this way, you might try asking that as a question. You won't get a helpful strategy response from me because you've been rude to me. However, someone else might respond. (In case you somehow don't understand, "HELLO????? some one with brains" is being rude to me.)

You might think being rude to me is justified because I moved your post and thus it might seem to you that I was rude to you first. However, I can't read your mind when you post. Sorry, but I just read the words you actually post and try to understand them. As I understood your words, I was simply trying to put your post where I thought it better belonged.

Actually, at this point your post is getting more action on the BBV forum than it's getting here.

Buzz
Old 08-22-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
some one with brains

[/ QUOTE ]

lol @ misspelling "someone"

[ QUOTE ]
What is "floating"?

[/ QUOTE ]

this is commonplace modern b&m/online poker jargon for calling on an early street with weak holdings to set up a bluff.

unfortunately i can't find what i would consider an "all inclusive" resource for today's poker jargon. this site seems ok though.
http://www.pocketapples.com/?q=node/1
Old 08-22-2007, 04:23 PM

i wasnt trying to be rude. im in a weird mood today so maybe thats why i went crazy when my post was moved. i thought my post belonged here. also floating is what dave said it was but i know a lot of online tournament players say this a lot while talking to other tourney players.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:24 PM

Your first post was terrible because I had little idea what you were asking, and what I thought you were asking was answered easily and did not seem to merit your post.

So to save face and atone to Buzz for the "worst post ever" comment, I'll give you what I hope is a little constructive criticism on the hand.

1. I would not play QQJ8 from up front for $4 or $40.

2. I would fold to the pre-flop raise because playing this hand against a small number of other players seems significantly unprofitable.

3. Your play after the flop is standard, assuming you can safely put plo8 on an AA hand, as he could have either a better straight draw and/or a flush draw and probably was not helped when the board paired.

4. plo8's play on the flop is far from crazy. With a flush draw, perhaps with other draws like a gutshot, and position, a call of your raise is defensible. Once the turn hits the way it did, there is no reason for him to toss in the rest of his money there.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:38 PM

"4. plo8's play on the flop is far from crazy. With a flush draw, perhaps with other draws like a gutshot, and position, a call of your raise is defensible. Once the turn hits the way it did, there is no reason for him to toss in the rest of his money there. "

thats true he could of had AA2Jdd something along those lines. also trust me i know i played this hand poorly post flop. i was still steaming from about 800$ lose in about 10 minutes at hilo which normally doesnt happen. so aside from me playing badly preflop im still confused. lets say he had AA2J with nut flush draw and nut straight draw. now if i was him i dont understand how he or i or anyone could call there. after my reraise you have to know your behind. i know this is a drawing game but i think im still ahead with my hand on this flop. ok so what kind of odds is he getting 1 to 1. lets say 3 of diamonds hits the board. and he pushes or i push and then board pairs on the river. its possible i could hit a boat or have a hand like kkqj. i just dont see how he could get the right odds to call. i think i would fold AA2J on the flop. im curious to know what u guys would do