Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 08:22 AM

Default Re: Libraterian = Jerry Falwell?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who hear thinks Ron Paul is going to use his posistion as president to enact religously motivated legislation forcing his morality on others?

Any takers? What laws do you believe he would propose?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who believes he might appoint judges who are more willing to allow religion into the public square than what we have now --- judges that will move away from the standards we have in place now --- judges that might, for example, allow school prayer?

Any takers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, he's very likely to appoint judges that make rulings based on what the Constitution says instead of what they want it to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

So then you agree with me...it matters. Saying it's irrelevant or suggesting that Paul couldn't/wouldn't do anything about those beliefs if president is silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I wasn't the one who said it was irrelevant, but no, I'm not agreeing with you. It is irrelevant. He will appoint those judges because he believes in the Constitution and his religion is irrelevant. I'm very anti-Christian myself and I would appoint the same judges as he would. Yes, he will appoint judges that might FORCE school prayer to take place, but it will have absolutely nothing to do with his religious views.

So yes, he would stop people like you from forcing your morals on others. I would too.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's hypocritical, DUCY?
Old 11-10-2007, 08:29 AM

Default Re: Ron Paul quotation - Is it a hoax?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
edit: I guess Ron Paul missed Jefferson's "wall of separation" between church and state when he was looking through the Founding Father's writings.

[/ QUOTE ]

a) churches are free to engage in politics/gov, it's just that gov itsn't allowed to engage in religion. it's a one way wall.

b) *references* to god in const.

[ QUOTE ]
secure the Blessings of Liberty

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If any Bill shall not be returned by the President within ten Days (Sundays excepted)

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation: — "I do solemnly swear (or affirm)

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ade prior to the Year One thousand eight hundred and eight

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven and of the Independence of the United States of America the Twelfth In witness whereof We have hereunto subscribed our Names,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Those examples are horrible and mostly don't work. Paticualrly lol at the first one being used. actually, they all fail to support your claim.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do not, however, know of any athiests in congress who are not corrupt, but I don't know that there are any in congress.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pete Stark (D) Fremont, CA is the admitted atheist in Congress.

Decide for yourself if he is corrupt. Here's a place to start.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Those examples are horrible and mostly don't work. Paticualrly lol at the first one being used. actually, they all fail to support your claim.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, first one might not qualify, but even a dunderhead can see that observing the sabbath comes from christiansity. the others might not be so obvious, you might have to google oath/affirm in legalese and why they say oath/affirm. hint, it has to do with religion (chritian)
Old 11-10-2007, 11:14 AM

oaf/affirm + excluding sunday = practical

most traditions from religion originally stemmed from practical sense e.g not eating pork.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I do not, however, know of any athiests in congress who are not corrupt, but I don't know that there are any in congress.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pete Stark (D) Fremont, CA is the admitted atheist in Congress.

Decide for yourself if he is corrupt. Here's a place to start.

[/ QUOTE ]

I learned about Stark when he made the news recently over his rant on the floor. I did not know that he was an atheist.

What I don't understand, when it comes to atheists, is where do they get their morality other than the fact that they must abide by the laws (or not get caught) or go to jail. Is it Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, driving them to gain a sense of belonging with their fellow citizens? Or maybe even self-actualization by getting elected into a position where they can do more good for their fellow citizens in public service than as a private citizen and are willing to give up the chance of becoming wealthy?

Or do the atheists do as the so-called christians that keep tainted cash in their freezers?
Old 11-10-2007, 12:15 PM

Atheists just dont feel it necessary to get their morals from out of date texts that under scrutiny do not convey any sane morality. And no atheists do not simply resist raping or murdering people because they're scared of imprisonment; what sort of nihilist are you!? You do realise it is a 'immoral' position to only resist bad behaviour because its prohibited by your religion as opposed to being a good person regardless of divine guidance.

I propose the Hitchen's dillema:
"Name one ethical statement made, or one ethical action performed, by a believer that could not have been uttered or done by a nonbeliever."
Old 11-10-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Atheists just dont feel it necessary to get their morals from out of date texts that under scrutiny do not convey any sane morality. And no atheists do not simply resist raping or murdering people because they're scared of imprisonment; what sort of nihilist are you!? You do realise it is a 'immoral' position to only resist bad behaviour because its prohibited by your religion as opposed to being a good person regardless of divine guidance.

I propose the Hitchen's dillema:
"Name one ethical statement made, or one ethical action performed, by a believer that could not have been uttered or done by a nonbeliever."

[/ QUOTE ]

So, it's in our genes? Some of us have better genes than others? Those with the better genes, being those who do not have tainted cash in their freezer and are not professional assassins?

Or, would an atheist consider being a professional assassin, if, he only had to accept contracts to kill people he believed deserved it; such as someone else who has committed or ordered murder, such as a drug kingpin?

Can you name one non-believer who has devoted their life to the less fortunate as Mother Theresa did?

And don't go off on me, I have no respect for the Catholic Church, only Mother Theresa. Did she just have really good genes? Because I know a preacher man who has a $23,000.00 toilet made out of marble, while thousands are starving to death all over the world.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:03 PM

Moseley,

do you now much about Mother Teresa? The reality seems darker and more complex than is generally portrayed.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Moseley,

do you now much about Mother Teresa? The reality seems darker and more complex than is generally portrayed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it as dark as the preacher man with the 23k toilet?