Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Carbon Tax or Cap and Trade

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't ask what the ideal solution was, I asked which was the better option.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if they're both bad? Then neither is "better", there's just "least bad".

[/ QUOTE ]

OMFG, what is wrong with you people? Which is better and why. If you think they both suck then the better one would suck less. It is really not all that complicated.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're new around here, I take it. There are a lot of anarchists who furiously hate anything that involves the government. You're best off just ignoring them.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:43 PM

OP, which is better, cyanide capsule or a bottle of whiskey and a loaded .45?
Old 11-09-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP, which is better, cyanide capsule or a bottle of whiskey and a loaded .45?

[/ QUOTE ]

Personal preference. I feel like I'm surrounded by 4 year-olds. Either of these programs, if implemented, will have social consequences. Which is preferable to the other?
Old 11-09-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OMFG, what is wrong with you people? Which is better and why. If you think they both suck then the better one would suck less. It is really not all that complicated.

[/ QUOTE ]

They will both do 0 to help the environment and will both enrich politically connected companies at the expense of competition which could solve the problem assuming of course that there is a problem that needs solving and if there is that anything done by people can solve the problem.

Question to op which is better death by firing squad or death by hanging gogogo.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They will both do 0 to help the environment and will both enrich politically connected companies at the expense of competition which could solve the problem assuming of course that there is a problem that needs solving and if there is that anything done by people can solve the problem.

Question to op which is better death by firing squad or death by hanging gogogo.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are suggesting that the price elasticity of energy consumption is zero and people will consume the same amount of energy regardless of the price. I think you are probably the only person on earth who holds that opinion.

Hanging v firing squad on a social level would depend on which (if either) has greater deterrence value or which provided more comfort to the victim's family, depending on the stated goals in carrying out the capital punishment.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you are suggesting that the price elasticity of energy consumption is zero and people will consume the same amount of energy regardless of the price. I think you are probably the only person on earth who holds that opinion.

Hanging v firing squad on a social level would depend on which (if either) has greater deterrence value or which provided more comfort to the victim's family, depending on the stated goals in carrying out the capital punishment.

[/ QUOTE ]

What we're getting at is this. Why do you assume energy consumption is bad, and have a desire to curb it?
Old 11-09-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What we're getting at is this. Why do you assume energy consumption is bad, and have a desire to curb it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course that's not what you're getting at, because you already know the answer.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My short answer to that would be that the net present value of a inhabitable planet is damn near infinity therefore any non-trivial chance that the planet might be rendered uninhabitable should be taken very seriously. If there is a 1% chance that our current policy will do irreparable damage to the Earth then it seems to me prudent to take reasonable steps to change that policy.

But look, if you think it is a scam or a figment of Al Gore's imagination then just say, "whichever one is cheaper" and there's your answer. All this undergrad-level reasoning is annoying as hell and I don't suggest you try it with your boss or peers in the real world.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My short answer to that would be that the net present value of a inhabitable planet is damn near infinity therefore any non-trivial chance that the planet might be rendered uninhabitable should be taken very seriously. If there is a 1% chance that our current policy will do irreparable damage to the Earth then it seems to me prudent to take reasonable steps to change that policy.

But look, if you think it is a scam or a figment of Al Gore's imagination then just say, "whichever one is cheaper" and there's your answer. All this undergrad-level reasoning is annoying as hell and I don't suggest you try it with your boss or peers in the real world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pascals Wager? Seriously?
Old 11-09-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All this undergrad-level reasoning is annoying as hell and I don't suggest you try it with your boss or peers in the real world.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I don't try it on my peers or superiors, I do use it quite alot on my customers.