Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2007, 02:59 PM

Default That one stupid mistake

About once or twice in a session, I make one or two big mistakes that cost me money. In cash games, it's not as big a concern because I'm usually able to use it to cash in later. People assume that any big move is just another crazy, stupid play. But in tourneys, obviously, it kills me.

I was just playing in the Sunday Warmup and I was way ahead of average as we were hurtling towards the money. I made a play that was so dumb on so many levels that I'm too embarrassed to even post it. One of those where I know I'm beat, but I'm just pushing all my chips in anyway in a random show of aggression. gg.

How do you keep yourself away from this?
Old 07-22-2007, 03:44 PM

Default Re: That one stupid mistake

Quit playing?
Old 07-22-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
About once or twice in a session, I make one or two big mistakes that cost me money. In cash games, it's not as big a concern because I'm usually able to use it to cash in later. People assume that any big move is just another crazy, stupid play. But in tourneys, obviously, it kills me.

I was just playing in the Sunday Warmup and I was way ahead of average as we were hurtling towards the money. I made a play that was so dumb on so many levels that I'm too embarrassed to even post it. One of those where I know I'm beat, but I'm just pushing all my chips in anyway in a random show of aggression. gg.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't play tournaments.

While part of being good at things is working at being good at them, another part is doing the things you're good at.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

try to keep your errors bounded to areas where if you're wrong your only a slight dog, not a massive dog. in PLO tournaments this would be jamming a good double suited hand preflop and hoping to get lucky, where you have pretty good equity no matter what,
not
bluff raising the river when your draw misses where if you're wrong you've just thrown your tournament away.

I made the same mistake as you, I jammed preflop when I knew I shouldn't (PLO tourney) and busted out 34 or 43 or something (pay 18) and I really thought I was totally an idiot cause it was such a rebuy period move duh. Personally I think it happens when you play too much and you just get mentally fatigued or you are being distracted or something.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:14 PM

I tend to do it when I'm doing well. I play an aggressive style and I get used to running over people. Someone finally plays back and I assume they are just taking a stand and if I just fire one more bullet, they'll back down. Of course, it's easy to see what they have and they won't back down. But if I just push all my chips in, I'm sure he'll fold. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Being tired does make it more likely, though. I go on autopilot.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:25 PM

I understand the feeling, it happens to me sometimes.
I`ve been thinking a lot about it and this is what I came up with:
It usually happens when I`m playing ultra aggressive, I control and terrorize the table and when someone fights back I just get stubborn and I refuse to act on my read ( which tells me that I`m pretty much beat ).
It`s like I get carried away in the bullying and can`t back off even when I know I`m dead.
The fact that I act very fast, like a reflex, tells me that I`m dealing with the fight part of the Freeze/Flight/Fight trilogy ( our ancient defensive mechanism ).
Thats how I see it and from my experience the only way for me to avoid silly things like that is to ALWAYS take at least 5 seconds before any action.
Don`t rush any decision, take some time to think about it.
It really helps. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2007, 11:37 PM

That's exactly it. [censored] you and your reraise, [censored]. You can shove your trips straight up your ass.

Doh!