Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2007, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Airplane! : MONTHLY MOVIE MARATHON

I love this movie...so quotable!

Utah even taught our daughter when she was 2 how to speak Jive. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

First Jive Dude: [censored] man, that honky mus' be messin' my old lady... got to be runnin' cold upside down his head. You know?
Second Jive Dude: Hey home, I can dig it. You know he ain't gonna lay no mo' big rap up on you man.
First Jive Dude: I say hey sky, s'other s'ay I wan say?
Second Jive Dude: UH...
First Jive Dude: Pray to J I get the same ol' same ol'.
Second Jive Dude: Eh. Yo knock yourself a pro slick, gray matter live performas down now take TCB'in man.
First Jive Dude: Hey, you know what they say... See a broad, to get that booty yak 'em.
First Jive Dude, Second Jive Dude: Leg 'er down 'n smack 'em yak 'em
First Jive Dude: Cold got to be. You know? Shiiiiit.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:40 PM

I just watched this for the first time in about 10 years and it's still hilarious! I first saw it in the theater when it first came out and I had never laughed so hard at a movie before or since. I think the jive talk scenes are the funniest ever. Shiiiiit! ... Golly!

I consider this movie groundbreaking. It is what I call relentless comedy. They keep throwing gag after joke after line after sight gag at you and never stop trying. Some of it doesn't work but so very much of it does. If the last joke didn't get you odds are the next one will. They pull out every stop and just keep charging ahead. The first time through you miss a lot because you are still gasping from the last gag and the next is on top of you already.

"Shouldn't we turn on the search lights now captain" with the serious concerned reply "No, that's just what they'll be expecting".

I laugh hard and loud at several points in this movie.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:40 PM

Aside from being brilliantly hilarious, this movie brings back some good memories from its release.

We lived in a pretty isolated area of the Ozark Mountains. Movie pickin's were pretty slim, especially before I was old enough to drive myself.

In the summer though, my sister and I would spend a couple weeks at our grandparents' farm in Illinois. Our cousin would make sure we got to see whatever now-classic was playing.

That's how I saw Airplane!, Smokey and the Bandit, Animal House among others. I'm much obliged to him for giving me the chance to see these in their first releases.

He and his wife now live on our grandparents' farm. He's one of a dying breed, the true family farmer.

"Where disco lives forever!" *plane takes out tower*
(Audience cheered) [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2007, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love this movie...so quotable!

Utah even taught our daughter when she was 2 how to speak Jive. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

First Jive Dude: [censored] man, that honky mus' be messin' my old lady... got to be runnin' cold upside down his head. You know?
Second Jive Dude: Hey home, I can dig it. You know he ain't gonna lay no mo' big rap up on you man.
First Jive Dude: I say hey sky, s'other s'ay I wan say?
Second Jive Dude: UH...
First Jive Dude: Pray to J I get the same ol' same ol'.
Second Jive Dude: Eh. Yo knock yourself a pro slick, gray matter live performas down now take TCB'in man.
First Jive Dude: Hey, you know what they say... See a broad, to get that booty yak 'em.
First Jive Dude, Second Jive Dude: Leg 'er down 'n smack 'em yak 'em
First Jive Dude: Cold got to be. You know? Shiiiiit.

[/ QUOTE ]

My work passwords are usually taken from this exchange.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Shouldn't we turn on the search lights now captain" with the serious concerned reply "No, that's just what they'll be expecting".

[/ QUOTE ]

That sort of deviant, out-of-nowhere brilliance just knocked me for a loop when I saw it in the theater. It made it clear that all bets were off and these guys could suprise you with ANYTHING. I was completely defenseless to ward off the incoming onslaught of gags. I was a kid in a candy store, a pig in sh*t, a hillbilly in a slow-running little sister with this flick. I could hardly believe how great it was, and it just kept going.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:33 AM

This looks like an Airplane! lovefest.

When I first saw Airplane about a bazillion years ago I thought it was pretty funny but I wasn't nearly as taken by it as the rest of you. I probably would never have watched it again if not for this thread. This time it was less funny but I certainly lol a few times.

The jive talk stuff I found to be the lamest part of the movie.

I finally got a copy of Monty Python and the Holy Grail at the same time and haven't even opened that thread yet. I just watched the first 10 minutes of it after watching Airplane! I found the opening credits of MP to be funnier stuff.

We all know that people find different things funny. I mentioned in the 'movies you've watched recently' thread that I found 'Man Bites Dog' to be the most hillarious movie I have seen in some time. I know many people were seriously offended by that movie and it was the least funny thing they had ever seen. 'Borat' seemed to blow the critics away with it's 'edgy' humour. Although it didn't offend me I found it to be about the least funny movie in recent memory. 'Wedding Crashers' got a bigger rise out of me and it pretty much sucked in my opinion.

That's just the way it goes with humour.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:52 AM

fyodor, what you need to realize is that people find different things funny.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:42 AM

Also the key thing people never understand - in their time, these things were new. You cannot possibly recapture even a piece of that when you see it later. And it's not because the movie sucks - it's because the movie is so friggin' great that it spawned 10 billion imitators so that you got completely submerged in its energy and originality and took it for granted before you even saw it. There is NOTHING you cuold see at that point that wouuld make you appreciate it for how great it was when it came out.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also the key thing people never understand - in their time, these things were new. You cannot possibly recapture even a piece of that when you see it later. And it's not because the movie sucks - it's because the movie is so friggin' great that it spawned 10 billion imitators so that you got completely submerged in its energy and originality and took it for granted before you even saw it. There is NOTHING you cuold see at that point that wouuld make you appreciate it for how great it was when it came out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aye. I often thought Mel Brooks must have wept when he saw it.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:33 AM

I am pretty sure rothko is kidding because that "different people find different things funny" is about all I talked about. rothko is funny that way

Blarg obviously failed to note that I did see Airplane! when it came out and was not blown away then either. I found it funny but just ok kind of funny.