Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2006, 07:14 AM

Default Raising all the pairs.

To increase my pf raise I started to raise all my pocket pairs from each position. I wonder how the 5-10% rule applies when facing a reraise? I suppose standard pot sized reraises should be instacalls...
Old 08-24-2006, 07:19 AM

Default Re: Raising all the pairs.

can you link me to the 5-10% thread.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose standard pot sized reraises should be instacalls...

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming decent stacks, yes. The 5-10 rule shouldn't be any different here than otherwise, I think. Often you have to judge yourself (as it's often between 5 and 10% of your stack) if you're going to get paid off etc.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:24 AM

Calling reraises with pairs is something you have to be careful about. A lot of people leak a lot of money by overestimating their implied odds if they hit a set. The 5-10% rule, IIRC, is based on the idea that your opponent is likely to have a big pair and pay you off when you flop a set. If you are playing 6-max, people tend to be reraising with more than just big pairs, so calling with every pocket pair just for set odds isn't always right.

Decide based on the player how likely it is that A) he has a hand that will pay you off if you hit or B) he is raising with enough trash that I can move him off his hand without improving to a set. But you have to be honest with yourself about how often you'll be able to take the pot down without improving and your implied odds. Sets are fun to flop, but not always profitable to chase.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:50 AM

Calling reraises with small pairs is generally a leak. One I'm afflicted by... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2006, 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To increase my pf raise I started to raise all my pocket pairs from each position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dooo it.

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder how the 5-10% rule applies when facing a reraise? I suppose standard pot sized reraises should be instacalls...

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. Same rules apply. If the cost to add from what you've put in from your raise to cost of calling the re-raise is over X% of effective stack, fold it.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To increase my pf raise I started to raise all my pocket pairs from each position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't raise all your pocket pairs to increase you PFR stats. Raise all your pocket pairs to make money.

Probably not something you need to be told, but changing play to manipulate statistics is a slippery slope for some people.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dooo it.

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder how the 5-10% rule applies when facing a reraise? I suppose standard pot sized reraises should be instacalls...

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. Same rules apply. If the cost to add from what you've put in from your raise to cost of calling the re-raise is over X% of effective stack, fold it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just one small point.
When calculating the effective stack sizes you should take into account the amount in the pot at this point. Normally this is irrelavent when calling a raise with small PPs since the pot contains only one or two bets.
Here, however, it contains your original raise plus the re-raise. So, your effective stack size is the sum of the current pot and the smaller of your and your opponents stacks.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dooo it.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Just one small point.
When calculating the effective stack sizes you should take into account the amount in the pot at this point. Normally this is irrelavent when calling a raise with small PPs since the pot contains only one or two bets.
Here, however, it contains your original raise plus the re-raise. So, your effective stack size is the sum of the current pot and the smaller of your and your opponents stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, so you guys call up to 10% exactly and fold if it is 11%? Now when reraised the possibility of stacking the opponent is much greater when you call a raise in BB with 22 against button stealer...
Old 08-24-2006, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dooo it.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Just one small point.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, so you guys call up to 10% exactly and fold if it is 11%? Now when reraised the possibility of stacking the opponent is much greater when you call a raise in BB with 22 against button stealer...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have the right idea. You have to look at position, your cards and villain's tendencies rather than just have rules.