Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2006, 07:47 PM

Default My first post

Hello. This is my first post here.

Little bit of background on myself in regards to SSNL: Although this is my first post here, I’ve been lurking here for several months now. I must say that this is the finest discussion on NLHE that I’ve found on the internet. You guys have helped me improve my game so much it’s scary. I decided to finally start posting here because a) I’d like to get feedback about my own play and b) writing is a good process for learning. Using this outlet I am able to learn things about my poker game that I’d otherwise wouldn’t get too much attention to. A lot of the posters here are harsh, cynical, and straight to the point, but I like it that way. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I currently play 50NL (clearing bonuses and rakeback to build a roll). I play either three 6max tables and 1 FR, or 8 FR tables. I use PT and HUD of course, and although my winrate over ALL of my hands of poker isn’t super-great, I’m still learning, and I’m a “consistent winner” over 30k hands (def not as much as a lot of you guys have played).

Anyways, I am going to post several hands throughout my time here, and I’d appreciate people’s criticisms of my play. What am I doing wrong? How could I have managed a situation better? Why am I such a huge donk? Lol etc etc. In return I hope to give plenty of my own feedback in other discussions. I am no expert at this game, but I think I have some good ideas and I am willing to share them.

In fact, here’s one hand from my session today:

UTG was super loose, a 60/24. He was definitely entering a lot of pots without solid values. My read on him is that he likes to get very aggressive when his opponents are acting weak, so I know that I can induce bluffs from him. As for my image? I've been playing my normal tight game but I have been raising it up alot. I am c-betting almost every flop and taking alot of them down. I have only showed down one hand at this table, when my AK spiked a flush for a good-sized pot.

Full Tilt
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
6 Players

Stack sizes
UTG: $62.55
UTG+1:: $30
CO: $49
Hero: $96.85
SB: $30.75
BB: $47.25

Preflop: (6 players) Hero is BU with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, CO calls, <font color="red">Hero raises to $3</font>, 2 folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, CO folds.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($7.75, 2 players)
UTG checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $5</font>, UTG calls

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($17.75, 2 players)
<font color="red">UTG bets $10</font>, Hero calls.

River: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($37.75, 2 players)
<font color="red">UTG bets $31</font>, Hero???
Old 08-14-2006, 08:09 PM

Default Re: My first post

Raise the turn, fold to a 3-bet?

River is tough but I think it's foldable.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:17 PM

You say that Villain shows aggression when players show weakness - you showed weakness by just calling the turn. You need to make a sizeable reraise. There are alot of hands that can beat you though. You should fold river IMO.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think in the heat of the moment, I thought I was "keeping the pot small" or "slowing down" but it's fairly obvious a big pot was brewing, and one pair hands = not good for that, usually.

In all honesty I think I pretty much donked it up here. I think a better standard play would be to check the flop (because he's loose and calls too many flop bets, especially since I've been betting every flop) and hope to catch a pair. Then he'll fire away and I'll snap him off. If I miss, I'll fold and he can smile smugly to himself, which is ok, I'll just wait for a better situation. Thoughts?
Old 08-15-2006, 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think in the heat of the moment, I thought I was "keeping the pot small" or "slowing down" but it's fairly obvious a big pot was brewing, and one pair hands = not good for that, usually.

In all honesty I think I pretty much donked it up here. I think a better standard play would be to check the flop (because he's loose and calls too many flop bets, especially since I've been betting every flop) and hope to catch a pair. Then he'll fire away and I'll snap him off. If I miss, I'll fold and he can smile smugly to himself, which is ok, I'll just wait for a better situation. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, welcome to the forum (as a poster).

Secondly, I think you're being results-oriented. I like the way you played this hand, provided you folded the river. The problem with checking the flop against this guy is that he'll often still have the worst hand on the flop AND the turn, and you'll rarely improve so you'll be folding the best hand on the turn a lot. Often in NL you have to fold the probable best hand, but in this situation I think you can avoid it by betting the flop. He'll usually check the turn so you can check behind, maybe improve on the river or even win unimproved on the river if it's checked through.

The call of his turn bet is fine IMO. I don't think there's much value in a raise, and keeping the pot small here is important - there's no reason to think the pot will get huge on the river.

On the river practically everything beats you except a bluff, and you haven't shown enough weakness to think you may have induced a bluff, so fold.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:59 AM

Welcome and glad you're posting.

Well played in that hand -- but river is a fold.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:09 AM

welcome!

I agree with sensei
Old 08-15-2006, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Welcome and glad you're posting.

Well played in that hand -- but river is a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-15-2006, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, welcome to the forum (as a poster).

Secondly, I think you're being results-oriented. I like the way you played this hand, provided you folded the river. The problem with checking the flop against this guy is that he'll often still have the worst hand on the flop AND the turn, and you'll rarely improve so you'll be folding the best hand on the turn a lot. Often in NL you have to fold the probable best hand, but in this situation I think you can avoid it by betting the flop. He'll usually check the turn so you can check behind, maybe improve on the river or even win unimproved on the river if it's checked through.

The call of his turn bet is fine IMO. I don't think there's much value in a raise, and keeping the pot small here is important - there's no reason to think the pot will get huge on the river.

On the river practically everything beats you except a bluff, and you haven't shown enough weakness to think you may have induced a bluff, so fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the reply.

I ended up calling, and he showed me KQ, for Broadway. He floated me on the flop with 2 overs and then got aggressive with a gutshot.

I thought he might have had a weaker ace than me, but the arrival of the jack meant that there were very few aces I was beating, and a fold should have been in order.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the arrival of the jack meant that there were very few aces I was beating, and a fold should have been in order.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, he would have raised AJ, AT and probably A9 given that he has a 24% pfr.