Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 09:43 PM

Default Re: Joe Torre = Dodgers manager

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Out of practice in doing what? In having the pitcher bunt? There's less strategy involved in managing an NL team than an AL team. Maybe in the days when pitchers routinely went 9 and a quality closer was a rarity, there were some crucial late inning decisions to be made in the 7th or 8th inning of a close game. But not any more.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is so so wrong

National League game 1-1 bottom of the 7th 2 outs runner on 2nd and your ace pitcher is do up. Do you take him out? or let him bat cause he is your ace and see what happens

Larussa said coming to the NL was a bigger adjustment than he ever imagined. he adjusted and has done well (well batting the pitcher 8th was retarted imo but thats a discussion for another day)

Willie Randolph totally botched up every double switch he made in 2005. He has gotten better, but still screws it up.

There is much more strategy to managing a national league team, and anyone who says otherwise is not looking at it rationally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is your point that this is a really close, marginal decision? Because if so, wtf cares about it. Just like in poker, the longer you argue about the way to play a hand the less it matters.

Or is your point that this is a super easy decision that a bunch of managers screw up?

[/ QUOTE ]

my point is that the answer is different with different pitchers at different points of the season depending on your situation. Good managers make the correct decision more than bad managers do.

my real point was that national managers need to make more tough decisions than american league managers. if you want to say that its not any tougher, that is your perogative

the people that are saying that AL managers have a harder job strategically than NL managers are wrong .. and that was my point
Old 10-31-2007, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pitchers wearing skirts makes decsions less difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you mean pitchers having to be better at their job and not being able to save pitches because 1/3 of the lineup is an easy out is the reason. Has nothing to do with "pitcher swearing skirts," lmfao.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Platooning, Mondo. DH means more platooning, actually.

And pinch-hitting for pitchers is a brain-dead strategy that even a monkey can do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Platooning is hardly a difficult task. If the hardest decision you have as an AL manager is platooning your right fielder because one can't hit lefties, and the other can't hit righties, that's nowhere close than deciding whether to double switch with the player in the 7 hole or the 8 hole, when the 8 hole may be a better hitter but the 7 hole will come up quicker.

Or, if you have the go ahead runner on 2nd in the 6th inning in a 2-2 game, with zero outs, and your pitcher is a really good bunter, and has a relatively low pitch count, do you PH for him then, or let him try to sacrifice the runner to 3rd. Do you still do so knowing the other teams 2-4 hitters are coming up next inning.

Somehow, I don't see writing in a left field platoon situation being anywhere near as complex.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:29 PM

Platooning optimally isn't a difficult task? Knowing who to platoon, how often, what position? With the DH you have more combinations and more should I or should I not platoon options... so a manager has to be smarter and know what he's doing to optimize it. Please stop. Like double switching is hard? WTF. Jesus. platooning = lots of value to be had = botching it means more value is lost = more value than any stupid strategy in the NL.

Your scenarios are so hypothetically rare and not nearly as significant to the outcome of the game as you think (nevermind easy).
Old 10-31-2007, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Platooning optimally isn't a difficult task? Knowing who to platoon, how often, what position? With the DH you have more combinations and more should I or should I not platoon options... so a manager has to be smarter and know what he's doing to optimize it. Please stop. Like double switching is hard? WTF. Jesus. platooning = lots of value to be had = botching it means more value is lost = more value than any stupid strategy in the NL.

Your scenarios are so hypothetically rare and not nearly as significant to the outcome of the game as you think (nevermind easy).

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, those scenarios aren't are rare as you say, and unlike in the AL, where there's never a need to double switch, there are platoons in the NL.

NL managers simply have more in game options to deal with than AL managers, and having more options inherently makes in game managing more complex.

Check the boxscores for 2007, and find the % of AL games with not a single in game lineup change other than pitcher substition. Now, do the same for the NL.

Hell, check the ingame box scores for AL games in the pre-DH era, and compare them to this year.

I never said double switching is technically difficult. Knowing when and who to double switch, is.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:40 PM

i can name a lot of AL teams off my head who would benefit by good platooning:

indians (that was their offseason OF plan actually)
angels
mariners
a's
yankees
blue jays

wow i'm already tired. platooning is all over teams' rosters if they so chose and don't suck in it.

and again, DH = more platoons, easier to do, etc. etc. already raped that point.

your basic point is that AL managers are bad so they DON'T manage asm uch as NL ones? just because THEY'RE NOT MAKING MOVES doesn't mean there arne't MORE OPTIMAL MOVES TO BE MADE. Wow.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
good platooning

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
platooning is all over

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
DH = more platoons

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
they DON'T manage asm uch as NL ones?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
already raped that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

self-induced rape. well done, troll.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow i wasnt gonna jump on the bash yves wagon, but you really are clueless
Old 11-01-2007, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
just because THEY'RE NOT MAKING MOVES doesn't mean there arne't MORE OPTIMAL MOVES TO BE MADE. Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

all you had to do was read ONE MORE SENTENCE and you wouldnt've of embarassed yourself.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:13 AM

sad day for a yankee fan